MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo (STOCK)
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello MR2 fam. It's been a long time, but I've finally pulled the trigger and bought a 1991 MR2 turbo. It's been sitting in my mom's neighbor's driveway for years. A month ago, I rang his doorbell and asked if he'd be willing to sell it. Picked it up yesterday and now I'm ready to tackle this project. 122,xxx miles from the 1st owner. Since it's been sitting in his driveway for years, a lot of the rubber has gone by the wayside and there was a thick layer of dirt under the engine lid. Looking for a local fellow MR2 owner to show me the ropes on restoring this beast. If you're in the CA east bay (Pleasanton) area and have some time to walk me through a game plan, let me know.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Congrats on your purchase. Good luck finding a local fellow mr2’er. I used to have 3 others in my town. Now I’m down to 1. Remember; It isn’t the journey or the destination, it’s the combination 🤣

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
Congratulations!
Looks pretty good from the pics

What all rubber needs to be replaced that you know of?
I, too, have a 91turbo that I picked up about 18 months ago and you'll keep finding more and more stuff to replace.
But it's a lot of fun and very rewarding.

Take some time this weekend, take stuff out, clean it up really well, get acclimated to the car, get it nice and freshened up and see what you need to fix/replace.
We're here to help

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Congratulations!
Looks pretty good from the pics

What all rubber needs to be replaced that you know of?
I, too, have a 91turbo that I picked up about 18 months ago and you'll keep finding more and more stuff to replace.
But it's a lot of fun and very rewarding.

Take some time this weekend, take stuff out, clean it up really well, get acclimated to the car, get it nice and freshened up and see what you need to fix/replace.
We're here to help
Thanks. The paint looks decent on some panels and pink on others.
I'm pretty sure all of the rubber parts need replacing...
It's my project car, so I know I'm in for a long journey.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
I'm located in Clayton. I don't have an mr2 anymore but willing to assist with any questions you may have. There's another board member that lives in walnut creek...his username is 2zxxrs I believe.

Do you mind me asking what you paid for it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the offer. Not sure how far Clayton is from Pleasanton. I may reach out to 2zxxrs also.
I got the MR2 for $3,500.

·
Registered
1990 MR2 Turbo
150 Posts
Welcome.
One of the first things I do when I buy an older, used Toyota is buy a complete silicon vacuum hose kit and a good set of clamps and start changing them out one by one. The one I got for the MR2 is really good quality, properly shaped hoses and it only cost me ~$100. They are typically available in various colors, including black, but if you can handle the infusion of color, it is actually helpful to get a colored one because it helps you keep track of what you have done and what you have left to do. I recommend changing them all out one at a time so that you don't lose track of what goes where. The <$10 Harbor Freight hose plier set and some lube is very helpful in accomplishing this task.
Do the same thing for the coolant hoses (There are MANY on the MR2) and the ignition system using only OEM ignition components and you'll be a lot closer to restoring this car. I find that after doing all of that they generally tend to just run better all around.
That's just what I always do the first week or so of ownership and it has been a good policy for a few decades now. Good luck with it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts