MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
....well almost, I still need to add a tip.
Here's my setup: a trd header > trd downpipe > 90* bend > magnaflow high flow cat > 180* bend > 15" twin tube glasspack > borla oval muffler. All 2" mandrel-bent pipes.

I had a friend help me weld it all up today; it only took about two hours including removing the old exhaust, measuring, cutting, etc...

The sound really is wonderful from the outside...nice and deep not too quiet and not too loud. It is a bit loud from the inside though.
I'm pretty happy with it..didn't think my car could sound this good. I also notice improved response and better mid-range power (over my busted and rusted pacesetter exhaust. But it could just be the sound that makes it seem faster too. I was inspired to use the glasspack before the muffler by wombat801, who did the same on his car with great results.

Here are a few more pics:

·
Registered
251 Posts
hey lookin good! i might just follow ur footsteps =)
my exhaust is stock.. and a pile of rust.. although the quarter pannels arent rusted o_O... i wonder what the previous owner did.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
bet that glasspack does make it sound pretty good. how much are those magnaflow cats?

·
Registered
21,388 Posts
might wanna give the welds a little spray.. maybe clear high temp paint if you dont want it to show.. welds rust quick!

awesome btw.. anything involving a cherry bomb is immediately cool :thumbup

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Unfortunately I haven't been able to get a clip. nor will I be able to soon. I'm leaving the home of the digital camera tomorrow :mad:.

Here are a few pics though. I finally welded up a tip, and painted all of the pipes and the cherry bomb "Cast Coat Iron".

And a nice clean weld for which my friend is responsible:

-Travis

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
WOOT!
Nice exhaust...the glasspack helps, doesnt it?
Nice and quit right? With a little bit of rumble...Its alot quiter than most exhausts for mkI's i've heard.. :p

Kevin

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Looks almost identical to the one I'm finishing up on my SC. I still have to finish welding up the hangers.
I used all mandrel bends, with a resonator before the muffler, a dual outlet muffler with stainless steel mandrel 90's slash cut and polished as tips.

I must say your beads look better than mine though.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wombat, yes it is quite quiet when I want it to be. At first it seemed quite loud to me, but the addition of the tip and the 90* bend worked wonders. As you said it quiet when cruising but when I step on it it gives a nice rumble. I'm really happy with; it's exactly what I had hoped for.
Yes, the beads look really good. I'm lucky to have a friend who is a great welder.

I don't understand why it got som much quieter with the simple addition of a 90* bend and a tip. Could it be that the sound is just aimed away from me, whereas before the exhaust exited to the side under the car?

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
My guess is that the exhaust frequencies are bouncing back towards the muffler when they hit the 90 degree bend and thus canceling out some of the oncoming noise. Im just guessing here.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Please pardon my lack of familiarity with Glass packs, but, what is the purpose of a glass pack, I'm using pretty much the same as the average sc MK1 owner with an after market exhaust system, headers, high flow dynamax cat and magnaflow muffler, pretty sure its all 2.25 all mandrel bent, custom made stuff, on a sesame seed bun, no pickles.
Would a glass pack make it more quiet?

Thank You for your input

·
Registered
332 Posts
The glasspack acts as a definer in my opinion. I think that when they are used before mufflers they sort of, make the exhaust sounds more crisp.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Judas said:
My guess is that the exhaust frequencies are bouncing back towards the muffler when they hit the 90 degree bend and thus canceling out some of the oncoming noise. Im just guessing here.

actually you don't need the bend at all to have that effect, the main reason it works is because your equalizing the pressure on each side of the muffler. Atleast thats the way i understand it from my mild experiments

Personally i would have gone with a 2 inch tip, any enlarged tip that is wider then it is long will muddy up the sound pretty bad, but if your pleased then no biggy, especially as it might just be that the TRD header sounds okay with a (est) 2.5 inch piping, compared to completely crappy with the stock manifold. I just have a feeling it would sound more like a throatier if you kept the sizes all equal

Still, id love to hear a soundclip, i haven't heard a mki with both a glasspack and a muffler

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ottobon said:
Still, id love to hear a soundclip, i haven't heard a mki with both a glasspack and a muffler
Sorry guys I guess I missed the revival of this thread. Here are a few sound/video clips that I posted long ago:

Back when it was N/A

N/A Two

Now SC. Same exhaust. This clip came out really dark :dontknow:

SC

87AW11 said:
How long of mandrel bent pipes did you get? What radius bends are they and where did you get them at?
It doesn't have to be that long, although I can't remember the exact lengths. I believe I used bends with a 3-4" radius. I bought it all at www.summitracing.com iirc. It's been a while ;)

·
I LOVE GOLD!
1,939 Posts
travis brecher said:
Sorry guys I guess I missed the revival of this thread. Here are a few sound/video clips that I posted long ago:

Back when it was N/A

N/A Two

Now SC. Same exhaust. This clip came out really dark :dontknow:

SC

It doesn't have to be that long, although I can't remember the exact lengths. I believe I used bends with a 3-4" radius. I bought it all at www.summitracing.com iirc. It's been a while ;)

Any chance you could still have the shipping invoice or the e-mail confermation with the part numbers from Summit, I'd like to put something together using a round muffer from Bullet or Borla.

TM

1 - 20 of 21 Posts