MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

Finally finished my CF engine lide side peices!

948 views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  SpeedyCorky 
#1 · (Edited)
on either side of the engine lid on an MR2, are the side peices. i decided they looked too plain, and they were pretty scratched up from many days of putting tools on them while i'm working on the car (gotta stop that habbit..). anywayz, so i've been working with Carbon Fiber lately, and i figured why not make some carbon fiber engine lid side peices?! so i did.... i stated by hollowing out the middle of the peice, only leaving a 1/4 inch strip down the middle for support. i premade a CF peice that would fit over it.. then i used fiberglass resin to stick it to there really good, then some bondo and sanding to clean up the sides.they didnt come out perfectly flat as glass like i wanted, and they are about 1/8th of an inch raised up from the rest of th lines of the body.. but its not at all noticable unless you touch it with your had or are really close to the car. i feel that if i made them again they would turn out better/flatter/more flush.

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
I'm so evil.....

.....and just to torment you all, i'll post a pic of the carbon fiber trunk lid that i'm working on right now. it is not installed yet, but will be soon - and is seriously 1/3 (or less) the weight of the stock trunk !!

#7 ·
Tap Plastics. they got carbon fiber, carbon kevlar, many types of fiberglass, and just about anything made of or related to plastic... its a really sweet store - think about making things outta plastic instead of fabbing them out of metal (if feaseable of course).

#9 ·
you know i was highly considering making parts for the MKII, but its really hard to compete with companies that are allready established and selling such products. i'd need to charge at least $300 for a trunk like (MKI or MKII), and i'd need to have 10 ordered in advance. i beleive there are companies out there that sell such lids for the 400$ range, and honeslty, the exta $100 is worth professional quality, as opposed to the "looks great, but isnt perfect." job that i am able to to. of course correct me if i'm wrong about the prices of professional lids....

#11 ·
awe yea. i could do those.. hrm yea i guess if i like 10 people wanted it done and all send me their stock peices, i could do it.

#13 · (Edited)
if people send me their side peices, then probablly around $50 for a CF version, without gutting the middle. i dont think if i made them for people that i'd make them with a gutted middle, because gutting the middle causes the peice the be weak and bend, hence when u put the CF and bondo and fiberglass on it, then try to put it back in the car, it might have bent outta shape = problems. hell, if i were to remake the peice for myself, i wouldnt gut it. gutting it saves only a few ounces or so i'd say. this is a bling bling item, not a weight savings peice - its simply too small to worry about the weight

#17 ·
if intrest kicks up i'll for sure do MKII and/or MKI side peices. i need 10 people who are for sure...

..... i'm working on an engine lid as we speak .... perhaps 2 weeks on that ?? i dunno

#19 ·
oh hahah i'm not gonan get into the buisness of making engine lids or hoods. very big so a lot can go wrong in a lot of places, shipping is a bitch cuz they are big, and as stated before, i cant really compete with the competition.

oh yea, if you are interested in going in on a group buy for CF side peices (MKI or MKII), go to this link:

http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=84884

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.