MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
As shallow as you can (+/- 2 degrees from flat)
so deeper in the front and just a shallow lift towards the rear, this will create a bit of low pressure that will help a great deal.

T

·
Registered
807 Posts
Tomg said:
As shallow as you can (+/- 2 degrees from flat)
so deeper in the front and just a shallow lift towards the rear, this will create a bit of low pressure that will help a great deal.

T
Excellent information! Good to know.

This is the current form of the car...

This is the way the car will be going, as you can see I will be altering the front bumper for a lower air foil and then a drop down piece made of flexible plastic a la C5 corvette from air dam. Then I will be creating a flat bottom panel piece to fit the shape.

here is a photoshop of the proposed idea.

·
Registered
66 Posts
fender vents, nose vents

so I've been looking for weeks for front fender vents and finally found something. :) I found days of reading about the engine bay vents....nothing about the front.

any pics of front fender pics or how and where they were placed on the Front fender?

I thought about having louvers stamped at the top of the fenders close to the cowl (3-4" forward) on the 45* surface. i would add vents /holes to the liner at the 2 o-clock(drivers) position to vent the wheel wells to the fender vents. has any one done something similar? pics?

would this be considered an aero mod? to reduce drag?

·
Registered
114 Posts
so I've been looking for weeks for front fender vents and finally found something. :) I found days of reading about the engine bay vents.......and i could care less.

any pics of front fender pics or how and where they were placed on the Front fender?

I thought about having louvers stamped at the top of the fenders close to the cowl (3-4" forward) on the 45* surface. i would add vents /holes to the liner at the 2 o-clock(drivers) position to vent the wheel wells to the fender vents. has any one done something similar? pics?

would this be considered an aero mod? to reduce drag?
If you follow what bill has said before on this subject you will get part of your answer. as for aero effectiveness you will need access to wind tunnel testing equipment/ a wind tunnel.

What I can tell you is:

1. Creates a low pressure area in the wheel well. (good)

2. Vents heated air out of the wheel well. (good)

how you go about doing it is up to you and what other info you can find.

A. This in turn reduces resistance (drag) that is built up in the wheel wells up front. Without proper ventilation your wheel wells are a high pressure area.

B. it also increases brake cooling efficiency. Supplement that if you want with ducting routed to provide air to cool the brakes (brake cooling ducts).

Either holes in the fender liner OR cutting out the section you wish the duct the air through the fender and applying a mesh will work, to what degree your particular idea will work I cannot tell you without actual wind tunnel data.

What bill did seems to work great for him though so I advise you try talking to him.

·
Registered
66 Posts
If you follow what bill has said before on this subject you will get part of your answer. as for aero effectiveness you will need access to wind tunnel testing equipment/ a wind tunnel.

What I can tell you is:

1. Creates a low pressure area in the wheel well. (good)

2. Vents heated air out of the wheel well. (good)

how you go about doing it is up to you and what other info you can find.

A. This in turn reduces resistance (drag) that is built up in the wheel wells up front. Without proper ventilation your wheel wells are a high pressure area.

B. it also increases brake cooling efficiency. Supplement that if you want with ducting routed to provide air to cool the brakes (brake cooling ducts).

Either holes in the fender liner OR cutting out the section you wish the duct the air through the fender and applying a mesh will work, to what degree your particular idea will work I cannot tell you without actual wind tunnel data.

What bill did seems to work great for him though so I advise you try talking to him.
may this mod be called something else? is that why i cant find pics or other threads?

·
Administrator
42,296 Posts
did both sides...

You could feel air flow being sucked in the holes in the front of the door where the wires go out for the power stuff in the door. So I knew that pressure was being built up in the fender, and being sucked into the lower pressure interior of the race car. So I cut the slots with an angle grinder and bent them with some flat vice grips. The flow stopped through the door.
This helps high pressure air build up, keeps well temps more towards ambient helping brake and tire temps.

·
Registered
66 Posts
i do like the look of the vents on your mk2 :)

what about vents on the headlight doors? would they help pull air from behind the bumper and around the fender liner?

21 - 36 of 36 Posts