MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is up and running after being down for several years and I would love to get it back on the road. I went to get emissions testing the other day and failed miserably. I don't have the exact numbers on me at the moment but the HC's were at around 190 (somewhere around 170 allowable) and my NOx was around 2000 (somewhere around 950 allowable).

I am running a built gen3 on stock fuel and ecu, ko street brawler 46 trim turbo kit, blitz nur spec exhaust. Therefor no cats.

I know that not having a cat is my main problem, but I am trying to find out if that is my only problem. What are some other things I should be looking into to lower my numbers?

It looks as if I am most likely going to have to have something fabricated. Do you guys think a high flow cat would be sufficient? If so, does it need to be in the downpipe location or can I replace the flex pipe section temporarily to go take the test. Replacing the flex pipe would be a lot easier and require less complicated fabrication.

I really cant afford to dump much money into this at the moment, so I am trying to figure out the best option

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Having no cat will fail. I'm surprised that they tested your car with no cat. I didn't realize Woodstock requires emission.
The guy wasn't exactly a rocket scientist. I had the engine lid off of the car and he still popped the hood looking for the motor. My plan if he asked about the cat was to tell him the resonator on the nurspec was an aftermarket one i had welded in.

Got the problem solved though. My fiance is in a non emissions county so she is the proud new owner of my mr2. Should be getting the title transferred and a tag on tuesday.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Nice. I had to go the alternative route for years, but it was costing too much, so I ended up selling the car and now building an 88.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
The guy wasn't exactly a rocket scientist. I had the engine lid off of the car and he still popped the hood looking for the motor. My plan if he asked about the cat was to tell him the resonator on the nurspec was an aftermarket one i had welded in.

Got the problem solved though. My fiance is in a non emissions county so she is the proud new owner of my mr2. Should be getting the title transferred and a tag on tuesday.
I usually retard the ignition timing all the way and it passes. Cobb county is Nazi about emissions. The cool thing is most of the "techs" have no idea what their looking at. I think I have 2 more years to have to put up with the sniff test.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Same, retard timing all the way. you'll pass. I have no experience doing this :) never ever have I done this to get my deuce to pass emissions.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I doubt 550CC injectors with a cat would pass. I could only pass with 440's, cat in the rear section where muffler was and an adjustable fpr with the fuel pressure turned down a little.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
^^^I don't understand what the size of the injectors has to do with emissions??
on a stock Turbo ECU it will run very rich. If he has a standalone it will have to be tuned to run like stock sized injectors or smaller.
Doesn't the gen 3 come with 540/550cc's? He definitley needs an aftermarket cat.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Old Thread

I wasn't aware a stock JDM Gen3 motor and ECU would pass US emissions. My previous 92 Turbo only passed with a cat and oem 440cc injectors. I've been off this board for years, so I've probably forgotten alot!
:eek:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts