MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I failed emissions by .4ppm on hydrocarbons, passed on everything else but tech inspection. According to the emissions testers, my turbo goes straight to a down pipe and out the exhaust, so they failed me on not having a cat.

This is in CO, so there are some counties that require an emissions test to register and some that don't. I bought the car recently and haven't gotten to register yet because of this emissions test.

What would my best option be? Find an OEM exhaust with a cat and install it for the test then remove it? Register in a test-free county?

·
Registered
684 Posts
I failed emissions by .4ppm on hydrocarbons, passed on everything else but tech inspection. According to the emissions testers, my turbo goes straight to a down pipe and out the exhaust, so they failed me on not having a cat.

This is in CO, so there are some counties that require an emissions test to register and some that don't. I bought the car recently and haven't gotten to register yet because of this emissions test.

What would my best option be? Find an OEM exhaust with a cat and install it for the test then remove it? Register in a test-free county?
The test station probably tested MR2 turbo before so they new about primary cat missing. You should be able to pass with one good aftermarket CAT (like KO Racing B pipe and stock muffler). Next time ask to do visual check of the car before they start a sniffer test. They should tell you if you pass the visual or not. Do not say you have no CAT just say you just bought a car.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Dude,

Always run a catalytic converter. If you're worried about losing performance, install a high-flow catalytic converter.

- Chester

·
I <3 E85
6,057 Posts
Dude,

Always run a catalytic converter. If you're worried about losing performance, install a high-flow catalytic converter.

- Chester
I ran a high flow cat and it barely did anything for emissions (sniffer) - switched to a Cali-spec heavy metal 3 way cat and it dropped emissions drastically.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts