MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Build a 1,500lb La Bala!
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have the specs on the fuel level sender for a 1985 MKI? Ohms (Resistance) Full and Empty...

Is there an Autometer Fuel level gauge that will work with the stock sender? Or do I need to buy a universal aftermarket unit?

·
Build a 1,500lb La Bala!
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
3 ohms full - 110 ohms empty. Right?

I'm sorry but I don't understand your other numbers -1 or -7.7

·
Premium Member
10,360 Posts
Plus or minus. For full 3 would be the median. The range is 1 above 1 below. They could have said 2-4 ohms.

·
Premium Member
10,360 Posts
Sorry, for a guy who is building his own car I thought I explained it well enough. We use the + or - alot in the military when it comes to tolerances on aircraft. Normally specs for torque on hardware. It comes natural to me(14 years military aircraft maintenance) :)

·
Build a 1,500lb La Bala!
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
AHAAAA! :D (I was never in the military.. so there you have it.)

Thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
10,360 Posts
Glad I could help. The BGB actualy shows it as a + symbol directly over a - symbol. Which indicates a plus or minus. Hows the grabercar?

·
Build a 1,500lb La Bala!
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
The Grabercar project is moving along at full speed. I'm getting a ton of interest from all over the world for making it available as plans, kits, rollers, finished cars... It's all pretty amazing to me, since at the beginning the project was really just for my own pleasure and now it has snowballed into something big that might become a business. Pretty wild stuff. The whole thing has been completely enjoyable. So I am happy about it.

back to Fuel Gauges: Is there an aftermarket guage that will read the stock sender resistance? or am I resigned to replacing the stock sender with an aftermarket unit? I know they are only 20-30 bux, but I can't imagine that anything aftermarket will be a direct bolt-on to the stock toyota tank... :(

Graber

·
Administrator
42,297 Posts
No there is not. I have contacted Autometer and about 5 other gauge companies. No one builds a meter to work with the sender, nor will they.
I ended up using one this...

I am using an autometer gauge, GM style 0-90 ohm. I honestly forget where I got that sender from... I'll have to look at my receipts... hold on. It is not a straight bolt in. You need to retap the holes and grind some of the plastic off of the sender at the top..

http://www.v8mr2.com/page45.asp

·
Administrator
42,297 Posts

·
Build a 1,500lb La Bala!
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bill, that's great info. I really do appreciate it. :D

Graber

·
Build a 1,500lb La Bala!
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bill Strong said:
No problem. Now maybe you can help figure out how to make some fenders that will be cheap and look cool :)
I'd love to help you any way I can. Just let me know what you want/need me to do. I can imagine that it is in regards to your widened rear track. You want to do a one-off or pull a mold?

Graber

·
Build a 1,500lb La Bala!
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Build a 1,500lb La Bala!
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
back to thread topic. I have decided to re-use the stock MR2 gauges. But you won't be able to tell they are off the MR2 once I have finished with them. The plus side is I don't have to spend an extra $700 on a complete set of aftermarket gauges for my car. :smile:

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Sorry to steal this thread, but didnt want to start a whole new one, where can i get a new fuel level unit? mine is messed up.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts