MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So,I read in a magazine regarding the MKII MR2 turbos,and they said to replace the factory BOV with another factory instead of an aftermarket.It also said to come here to find out why.WHY?

·
Registered
79 Posts
beats me. Replacing a factory 2 ByPassValve for a different factory BPV?...I'd either stay stock (unless, the BPV's shot) or upgrade to a BOV, rather than trying to swap factory parts. sorry didn't really answer your questions.

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
the reason to use the factory BOV is because it RECIRCULATES the boosted air into the intake tube instead of just venting it to the atmosphere.

turbo mr2s use a MAF (mass airflow sensor) to measure and tell the computer how much air the engine is sucking in. if you use a blow off valve that vents that already measured air to the atmosphere, the computer will still make decisions based on whatever amount of air the MAF told it, and will not know that some of that air has been vented. so it will run rich when you let off the gas. make sense?

·
Premium Member
13,226 Posts
The other reason is that, because of the design, the stock BOV reacts faster and holds boost better than spring operated aftermarket types. There is NO performance gain to be had by upgrading (unlike some cars where the stock valves leak and stuff).

·
Registered
79 Posts
oh, and what i meant...when mentioniong, 'swapping a factory MR2 BPV to ..say a different factory BVP', i meant something like a DSM BVP was a bad idea. as for everything else. Like what they said ^^^ -sorry I was a bit unclear.

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
No aftermarket valve will outperform the OEM Toyota valve!!!

There is absolutely NO REASON to replace the OEM valve, unless you just want to hear the Ppsshhttt.

bill

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
billwot said:
No aftermarket valve will outperform the OEM Toyota valve!!!

There is absolutely NO REASON to replace the OEM valve, unless you just want to hear the Ppsshhttt.

bill
^^^What he said. ...and unless you get a VPC or eliminate the AFM via some other method (standalone) ...you will lose performance and blow black smoke between shifts because you will be venting metered air.

...it will be a decrease in performance, increase in Ppsshhttt mod only.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Toyota Bypass Valve is the best but if you want something that performs 2nd best to this and gives out the pssssshht sound, get the HKS SSQV MR2 Specific 91-95... :thumbup

·
Turtle Racer
16,058 Posts
DriftR55 said:
Toyota Bypass Valve is the best but if you want something that performs 2nd best to this and gives out the pssssshht sound, get the HKS SSQV MR2 Specific 91-95... :thumbup
but that psssht sound is minimal if at all if recirculated which defeats the purpose of getting a BOV. And if he doesn't recirculate, than you'll run into the same problems as all the other BOV's.

To the OP, the reason why people refer to an hks ssqv as 2nd best is because it's design is essentially the stock design, dual chamber amd pressure loaded.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I learned a bit more about BOV.Thhanks peeps. I like my stock BOV, it sounds nice and is like a sleeper. So all in all and aftermarket BOV won't do anything for you? I was told that an aftermarket BOV can prolong the life of the turbo. Is that true? If not then I am sticking to my stock BOV.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Boz said:
but that psssht sound is minimal if at all if recirculated which defeats the purpose of getting a BOV. And if he doesn't recirculate, than you'll run into the same problems as all the other BOV's.

To the OP, the reason why people refer to an hks ssqv as 2nd best is because it's design is essentially the stock design, dual chamber amd pressure loaded.
HKS does have a recirculation valve adapter... after i found out about the running rich issue of having a BOV, i purchased the recirculation valve adapter for about $12 + tax (& + s/h?)... no more pssshhhtttt noise but i have a nice shiny HKS SSQV in the engine bay...

http://www.hksusa.com/products/?id=798

hope that helps... rex

1 - 11 of 11 Posts