MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering what you guys thought of an f20c/f22c swap... looking at dynos it seems to be pretty good, and they sound great too... an mr2 weights a less then an s2000 as is, and the s2000 engine is a bit heavier as far as i can tell... the s2000 have ever so slightly shorter ratios as its a 6 speed... and a honda... :/... we should all know vtec >>>>>vvti... it revves to 9k...

and how much of a night mare do you think it would be? putting a honda engine into an mr2... idunno, they ARE both i4s... blah...

i bring this up because apperently a friend of mine wrecked his car, and hes decided hes done with hondas... and so hes left with an s2000 spoon engine and was wondering if i was interested as he knows im looking for a swap...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aidan_Pryde said:
I think it'd be an awesome swap, but what transmission would you use? And I dont know about the f20c but dont most honda motor spin opposite direction of most other engines?
why would they spin the other way? :( just to be pricks so others couldnt use them... sucky... and i would probably use the stock n/a tranny as the s2k is an f/r and the n/s has steeper ratios then the s/c

·
20v Super Two
5,028 Posts
This is one of those ideas where it's just easier, cheaper, and more powerful to throw a 3S in. Also I've heard that the S2000's motor isn't particularly fun to drive, as you've really got to get it up past 7k to let it rip, and by the time you do it's time to shift already.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
casualsax3 said:
This is one of those ideas where it's just easier, cheaper, and more powerful to throw a 3S in. Also I've heard that the S2000's motor isn't particularly fun to drive, as you've really got to get it up past 7k to let it rip, and by the time you do it's time to shift already.
if having the keep an engine at the redline were a bad thing you wouldnt hear anything about 20v swaps... the honda fully loaded weighs almost 1000lbs more... so... thats going to change things... alot... the f20c makes like 100+lb/ft starting at like... 3500rpm? and thats fine, like... whatever

and if hondas do spin backwards, im sure you could find a f/f tranny that the f20c would mate to just find, then you would probably only need to mechine your drive shafts... and figure out the shift linkage and stuff...

i think the first corse of action is finding out if hondas spin backwards... and why >.>

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
after a little research it seems that s2k engines spin the right way? there are lots of threads with civic owners complaining about not being able to swap it because it would spin the wrong way (compaired to previous motors) so... if it spins the right way...

waybe it would be better in a mk2 :x

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Aidan_Pryde said:
Well sure it would be easier to swap a 3sgte, but no one has ever done this, so if you want to attempt it, do it. Is your buddy going to give you the motor or sell it to you very cheap?
hes going to sell me the crap, er.... car... which is rather mangled... like... it looks more like a citroen at this point... D: but that means id get the harness and everything, also about the backspinning engines

they apperently work in mk3s... but this raises the question of... if the normal honda engines work in toyotas, will the s2k not work?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
"You could bolt an accord tranny to an f20c, accords were built with f blocks so the tranny would bolt to it. All you really need to do is flip the engine and tranny around, fabs so engine mounts, lenthen or shorten the shift linkage if needed, the same for the axles, and change out the hubs to match. Wiring isn't as hard as everybody says either. An f20 powered AW11 would be cool but id rather keep it toyota."

apperently im not at origional as id like to think, but then none of us are...

anyway... that sounds nifty... ive been looking over engines and it seems i compleatly forgot about the 2zz :eek: thats quite a nice engine, its good enough for the lotus elise... and its being put into mk3s already... the older engine makes like 180/130? and it has a bottom end!! :eek: crazy...

and f20c aside... small n/a honda motors are going to waste in f/f cars... in a m/r all that power would go into the ground... i wonder how big the rsx r engine is :D... and how botomless it is :(... well... i think hondas in mr2s should get some real thought... honda makes some NICE motors, and the only flaw it the cars their in

·
Premium Member
3,118 Posts
I've heard that the "backspinning problem" was changed with the later honda motors. B16a's spin the wrong direction, while the f20 doesn't.

I've also heard that these transmission come from one supplier. Somebody like Denso i guess. It may be that the tranny mounts line up for this conversion, leaving the one engine mount to fab.

Once again, further research is required. This may not be as hard as it looks.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
mr220v said:
I've heard that the "backspinning problem" was changed with the later honda motors. B16a's spin the wrong direction, while the f20 doesn't.

I've also heard that these transmission come from one supplier. Somebody like Denso i guess. It may be that the tranny mounts line up for this conversion, leaving the one engine mount to fab.

Once again, further research is required. This may not be as hard as it looks.
im sure the wiring will be a huge suck fest... however thats also true for the 20v... so blah... the 20v sounds nice... but have you ever heard an s2k at 9k? its so nice

·
Round n round we go
3,030 Posts
The F20 will bolt to the same transmision that bolts to the K20. It think that just one bolt hole has be modified.

There are a couple of guys putting them in Spyders in Australia.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Aidan_Pryde said:
I have no clue why honda's spin the wrong way, i think its mostly the fwd cars so you may be ok. I think they fix the wrong way spining with the tranny.

The stock mk1 Mr2 tranny? would that even mate up?
Ever looked in a FWD honda engine bay? Have you noticed that the engine is on the opposite side compared to other cars?

It would be cool, but I suspect the swap will be pretty hard. About the accord tranny: the car would move the right way, but the tranny would be spinning "backwards" all the time. Not sure if this would cause longevity issues.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.