MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i was wondering what you guys thought of an f20c/f22c swap... looking at dynos it seems to be pretty good, and they sound great too... an mr2 weights a bit less then an s2000 as is, and the s2000 engine is quite a bit lighter as far as i can tell... other then that the cars are very similar, tho the s2000 have ever so slightly shorter ratios as its a 6 speed... we should all know vtec >>>>> vvti... it revves to 9k...

and how much of a night mare do you think it would be? putting a honda engine into an mr2... idunno, they ARE both 2 - 2.2 liter i4s... both use an over drive system... blah...

i bring this up because apperently a friend of mine wrecked his car, and hes decided hes done with hondas... and so hes left with an s2000 spoon engine and was wondering if i was interested as he knows im looking for a swap...

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
you might think that VTEC>>>>VVTI, but I'm sure almost everyone will agree that 3S-GTE>>>>>>>>>>F20C/F22C. Why do a honda motor swap when it wont compare to the factory 3S? Go with the 3S and you'll see why Toyota never needed 9k vtec honda motorcycle engines.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mr2trd3 said:
you might think that VTEC>>>>VVTI, but I'm sure almost everyone will agree that 3S-GTE>>>>>>>>>>F20C/F22C. Why do a honda motor swap when it wont compare to the factory 3S? Go with the 3S and you'll see why Toyota never needed 9k vtec honda motorcycle engines.
vtec > vvti = fact

anyway, i like n/a engines... not turbos... thats why i would rather do this swap :p

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
justkitteh said:
vtec > vvti = fact

anyway, i like n/a engines... not turbos... thats why i would rather do this swap :p
If you like engines, this is by far the BEST I4 NA engine IMO. Btw, both the S2000 and MR2 weigh around 2800, but I think the 2 is heavier by like 40 pounds on average though.

The reason it wont work is because the S2000's engine is longitudinally mounted (front-back), while the MR2's engines are laterally mounted (sideways). If we mounted the f20c in the MR2, the transmission would not fit.

If you want a good NA engine, IMO you should just build an NA that was made for this chassis.

Although not a bad idea heh.

·
Registered
10,144 Posts
^ I was thinking about if the longitudinally mounted would pose a problem in putting it in the mr2 too! But it would've been awesome to have a six speed mr2 with the motor.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Po' Kid said:
If you like engines, this is by far the BEST I4 NA engine IMO. Btw, both the S2000 and MR2 weigh around 2800, but I think the 2 is heavier by like 40 pounds on average though.

The reason it wont work is because the S2000's engine is longitudinally mounted (front-back), while the MR2's engines are laterally mounted (sideways). If we mounted the f20c in the MR2, the transmission would not fit.

If you want a good NA engine, IMO you should just build an NA that was made for this chassis.

Although not a bad idea heh.
ever driven a honda? they make great engines, terrable everything else, i would use either the mr2 tranny or if i had to use the tranny from an accord... i think that also had an f block + it was front wheel drive... im still unsure on the whole engine rotating the wrong way thing... but ya :| actually the n/a hard ton mr2 should only weigh 2500 curb, and the s2k weighs about 2800, aaaaand the f20c is much lighter then any of the engines that came in the sw20...

the only other swap that ive seen that will make a good amout of power n/a is the 1mz... tho that does rev to 9k ;)... tho event hat is lighter then the mr2 engines

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I just sold my 04 S2000 to another MR2 owner.

It would physically fit, but you'd have to redesign a lot of things (oil pickup system, transmission bellhousing, other major things...)

If you want NA power, the V6 engine is a much better bet. As for the Honda engine... I've seen them put in AE86 Corollas with stunning results. I've also seen one in a Miata which was absolutely evil. Tell your friend to get a Miata with a blown engine or an AE86 and try to swap into that.

I loved my S2000... I kind of regret selling it... but I'm gearing up for another mid-engine Toyota powered vehicle with British skin :smile:

·
Premium Member
2,254 Posts
Well if everyone has money to blow away, then do the swap. Any swap can be accomplished if you have the money. Why not try to swap the MR-S motor if you want to swap a motor. Honda motors should stay in Hondas.

·
Registered
21,388 Posts
anyway, you guys are too uselessly snobbish and ignorant, honda makes great motors
they really dont. their top of the line ultra strung out motor makes a little more horsepower and WAY less torque than a regular ass run-of-the-mill camry motor? how is that "great"? sure its pretty nice for what it is.. that doesnt mean its a "great" motor.

honda isnt the god of motors. get over it. they're small, underpowered, weak, and expensive.

·
Registered
384 Posts
justkitteh said:
vvt vs vtec http://www.billzilla.org/vvtvtec.htm

anyway, you guys are too uselessly snobbish and ignorant, honda makes great motors, its everything else they do wrong
u're the one who's uselessly snobbish and ignorant for coming in here and saying "vtec>vvti". i've been a honda guy and always will be one. i just sold my gsr with the b18c1/8k redline for a 91 mr2t with the 3sgte. and now i have an s2000 in my garage to play with as well. both engines/cars are amazing, dont make ignorant statements like "x is better than y".

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Toyota's VVTL (the L is important) is more comparable to a modern VTEC system. The author of that article chose to compare the old-school VVT instead for some reason.

The VVTL-i is even better, and is comparable to the i-VTEC setup. I'm not partial to either manufacturer. Honda is one of the worlds largest engine makers so they definately know what they are doing. Toyota's are actually over-engineered in my opinion and could be viewed as inferior from an engineering standpoint when you use the CAIV (Cost As an Independent Variable) approach.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
actually, tvec as a system > vvt as a system, i didnt say hondas engines were all better :p

i think its uselessly snobish and ignorant to discard something just because of its name, saying hondas are all bad, or rap is all bad, or anime is all bad, there will always be exceptions to the rule, and i feel, as far as n/a 2 liter inline 4s go, the f20c is the best... if you can suggest another motor, please do

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.