MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Turtle Racer
16,058 Posts
supraskyguy said:
nice car, it wouldn't be legal for street use though right?
you have to go through a bit of red tape but it "could" be done. but i believe as is, it's track use only which sucks really. but it wouldn't be THAT hard to pass safety rules and regulations as it shares the same chassis and features as an s14 240's that's already here in the states (i think. not exact, but pretty close).

either way, that is a niiiiice car. i loved the body styling of an s15 especially the rear more so the bubble butt of an s14. turbo 6-speed, even better
:thumbup

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Making the car federally legal would involve buying a bunch of other S15s and crash testing them, and making them pass EPA emissions testing.

Making the car legal under the "Race Use Only" exception would take a subtantial amount of work, not only limited to modifications, but also showing prior racing history (nonexistent) and proof that it will be used in upcoming events.

Your closest bet for federal legality would be the Show Only exemption. But even that would be pushing it, since I don't think participation in a crappy movie would validate it as "unique" enough for the Show exemption.

That said, there are many states in which you could get a title and plates for this car, 100% state legal. But it will never be federally legal.

·
Registered
6,507 Posts
We need to keep MR2s OUT of that movie......!!!!

the LAST thing the MR2 community needs is a bunch of 13-16 year old ricers showing up after watching the Fast and the Furious and starting a bunch of retarded: "How fast are the MR2s?" "Can an MR2 beat a skyline in a street race", etc threads.

I would be happy if no MR2 was ever even HINTED at in the F&F series.

·
Premium Member
4,519 Posts
I would be very worried about buying a movie car. I doubt it's put together very well, and probably sucks on the inside. Who knows what kind of stunts it was used for. That car is meant to look nice while the movie is being made and that's it.

But it's going to sell for a lot more than 20k i can tell you that. :)

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
There's already been MR2s in both of the F&F movies, and the MR2 community is already filled with
a bunch of 13-16 year old ricers showing up after watching the Fast and the Furious and starting a bunch of retarded: "How fast are the MR2s?" "Can an MR2 beat a skyline in a street race", etc threads.
Every car community is...

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I guessing that this is not really the car from the movie... They tend to keep these cars around till after the movie is done. Case they need to shoot some parts over.

Also if the movie is being shot in japan Why the hell would the ship this car back and forth, When they are a dime a dozen there...... Thats a lot of time and $$$

I call B.S. on the auction.

Also unless it was a side street car... Most those cars are on lease for about a year past the movie release, As they like to take the bigger shot cars around for openings....

·
Registered
972 Posts
PETC said:

the LAST thing the MR2 community needs is a bunch of 13-16 year old ricers showing up after watching the Fast and the Furious and starting a bunch of retarded: "How fast are the MR2s?" "Can an MR2 beat a skyline in a street race", etc threads.

amen

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
PETC said:

well except for the few bit parts there were in the original i think we are safe from this. on a side note did you read at the beginning of the FF3 section: "highly anticipated new movie Fast and Furious 3". WTF??? can anyone on this board honestly say they are highly anticipating the release of this movie?

v/r,
steven

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
hhaha i didnt even know they were comin out with one. personally i hate the movie with a passion. bad acting nasty cars. its really onto mainstream and not what car enthusiasts are really about

·
Turtle Racer
16,058 Posts
deviantv1ral said:
hhaha i didnt even know they were comin out with one. personally i hate the movie with a passion. bad acting nasty cars. its really onto mainstream and not what car enthusiasts are really about
it never really was meant to be based on the "real" enthusiasts. If you want your movie to be a success, you need all the glitz and glamour and to have some suspension of disbelief. I mean really, i enjoy the documentary from apotheosis etc etc, however it's not something i get a craving to watch because essentially, it can get boring. Really though, how many people want to watch a movie with a car breaking down every other race event ;) haha though it would be funny. heh

i do have an article here somewhere in my room with an interview with Ralhpy Estevez of DRT. They used some of his experiences during his street racing part of his life. contradictary to popular belief, some of the ideas that seemed outlandish are actually based on reality, that reality is just not part of most of the lives of people on this forum (and many others i visit). Those details were just exhaggerated a bit, but true nontheless.

Personally, i enjoy watching the FnF movies because i know they're not real. Story may suck but i enjoy watching it just to watch it as if it's any other movie.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts