MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 91 with a 5s-fe and had some problems that resulted in my pulling the harness and repairing it. I got my car running and on startup it would go to 2k rpms for the cold start but it would not go back down, it them immediately started bouncing from 2k rpms to 3k rpms and didn't stop once the car warmed up. Now whenever I start my car it immediately brings it up all the way to 7k rpms as if i were on the throttle. I have to turn off the car to stop it and I am already starting to look at things like the Throttle position sensor and other parts of the IACV( I did remove the intake manifold and throttle body to clean them) . I also checked my throttle cable and it is okay, the throttle plate does not open at all when it revs up, it leads to a loud suction of air past the plate. Any insight or pointers would greatly be appreciated.

·
6,465 Posts
Sounds like a vacuum leak and even more so low that you said you removed the intake manifold.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like a vacuum leak and even more so low that you said you removed the intake manifold.
I got a new gasket for the manifold when I put it back on and took a good amount of pictures of all the hoses, is there a reference somewhere for all of the hoses? You cant really see everything that well in the repair manual.

·
Registered
130 Posts
You have a wicked vacuum leak somewhere. When I got my car (unrunning from PO) they intake manifold gaskets were backwards, causing a leak big enough in each intake runner big enough to fit my fingernail in.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Either huge gasket leak or your fuel injectors aren’t seated well. It’s tough to visually see them, and that will cause a really high idle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts