MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read almost all of the posts on exhaust leaks. I'm more than positive that i have an exhaust leak. Loud chattering ticking sound when startup and gets quiter as engine warms. Also reving makes it really loud, also can hear the turbine when reving.

I had broken stud before i replaced everything, but didn't have the noise. I put new studs and bolts on with new manifold gasket, turbo gaskets, new rebuilt turbo, and KO DP.

I retighted everything yesterday and its all really tight. Still having the noise, sounds like its coming from the turbo area.

Could i have cracked anything? Maybe the DP or manifold. I don't really see any power loss or turbo lag. What would be my next step to finding this problem. I thought of using seafoam in the intake to see if i can get it to smoke out of the leak.

any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks

Y

·
0 Posts
The 91 and 92's had troubles with the exhaust manifolds cracking and/or warping. That's why Toyota added 2 extra studs on the 93 models. I would check this out first.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was planning on taking it out and getting it resurfaced, but if it is cracked i don't want to put it back in and find out the resurfacing didn't fix it and it is just cracked.

Will i be able to visually see if it is cracked? or is there another way to find out if the manifold is cracked or just needs to be resurfaced?

thanks for the help

·
Registered
421 Posts
That was my understanding as well but my 93 has 7.
The car is registered as a 93 and has all the refinements of a 93 like the lip and the brakes.
Could be different with the car being Canadian.

Odd

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
probably since your in Canada, but not sure.

Anyone know if you can visually see if the manifold is cracked or how to test it? I'll probably take it out this weekend and get it resurfaced. Hope its not cracked.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
how well do you think i would be able to see an exhaust leak if I put seafoam into a vacuum line? Should smoke good but don't know if i would be able to pin point the leak or not.

·
Premium Member
11,937 Posts
I had the same problem 1 year ago. Check the connection from the turbo to your manifold. YOu'll have to take the heat shields off and place your hand in the area while your engine is running. See if you feel any air coming out.

Baktash

·
Registered
633 Posts
when you take it off look at it very closely, if it is cracked thier will be an area of carbon on the outside of the manifold.

·
Registered
633 Posts
The actual crack will only be a hairline crack probably. Also if you see the carbon on the head then the manifold is warped

·
Registered
835 Posts
I think seafoam will help a lot. It smokes like crazy and helped me pinpoint my manifold leak.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sounds good, I'll try the seafoam before i take anything off. and then i'll check for cracks and warpage if i need to take it off.

thanks for all the help

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
I's warped. I had the same problem. I had a broken stud. So I took it off, resurfaced it, and replaced the stud. Guaranteed that i'ts a warped manifold. That's why the studs break in the frist place.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts