MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would a 2.5" dp & 2.5 dual exhaust be quieter than a 3" dp & 3" exhaust. Using a basically modded 3sgte with approx 270rwhp with a TKO setup as an example.

Also, in terms of performance is it better to have a 2.5" setup for a 270 rwhp goal. I believe 3" woulld be overkill right?

·
Turtle Racer
16,058 Posts
2dreamz said:
Would a 2.5" dp & 2.5 dual exhaust be quieter than a 3" dp & 3" exhaust. Using a basically modded 3sgte with approx 270rwhp with a TKO setup as an example.

Also, in terms of performance is it better to have a 2.5" setup for a 270 rwhp goal. I believe 3" woulld be overkill right?
i can't say for sure about the decibal levels of the proposed setups, but i'm sure they'd be similar though if you got the same size canisters.

as for the size, 3" is exactly overkill, but it's not necessarily needed either. I say this because you're 30whp away from when it would be better have 3" piping. However if you know for a fact that you wont go any higher than stock fuel limits (270whp) than get the 2.5".

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
As a general rule the larger the exhaust piping the louder it is; that is, a larger diameter exhaust and muffler configuration will be slightly louder than smaller diameter piping would be in the same exhaust.

It never hurts to go larger on turbo exhausts. Even at modest power levels (~250whp) a 3" dp and exhaust will make more power and spool faster than a 2.5". Do it right and just do it once - 3" dp and the 3" TKO.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
2dreamz said:

a 3" downpipe is never overkill, that is, unless you dont want to make absolutely every little bit of horse power that your car has to make with what im going to assume is a smaller-mid-sized turbo to achieve 270rwhp and make up for it with higher boost as an alternative to 3".

1 - 4 of 4 Posts