MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some exhaust options.

currently has a 3inch berk downpipe and custom 3 inch B pipe to single exhaust canister (k tuned pie turn down).

This setup is too loud and droneY for my taste is there a quieter option but still 3 inch piping?
I would opt to put a silencer into this exhaust to help bring the noise down but the pie turn down tip makes it an unlikely canidate for an aftermarket custom silencer.

open to dual or single setups but must be bearable and not obnoxious

thank you!

·
Super Moderator
91t gen5
7,208 Posts
TCS has a couple for sale, never heard them in person nor do I know how loud they are

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
FWIW my last SW had a very similar setup to the TCS Single muffler, and may have been one or a good reproduction. It was very deep sounding and certainly was loud.
I am currently running a single muffler single exit from Blitz and though its only slightly quieter I do think it brings a wider range of sounds, still drones but at least the note changes more often.
Having a "droney" car is kinda part and parcel of what it means to own and drive an MR2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMAte87EmJ8&t=238s&ab_channel=MnMCarShepherds

If you wanted to hear a good sampling of the exhausts sounds have a peek at the vid, the guy goes through a few situations so you can get a decent idea. Mine sounds a bit deeper but it could be just audio hardware cutting off the bottom or could be that I have a gen4.

My only issue is trying to track down a good rear bumper/valence that has a single exit exhaust. almost all em are made for a dual exhaust setup.

EDIT: If you shop around for a Blitz most if not all places will say out of stock, this is because these are built when ordered. AFAIK they are still making them but have a lead time. You may hit lucky and find someone with stock but I wouldn't count on it.

·
Registered
7,939 Posts
Why not install an exhaust cut out valve with normal flow through 2.5” silencers and open mode to 3” bypass.? You can control valve from inside cab to adjust flow & noise or even automate if you wish. No reason to live with a drone!

Jimb

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why not install an exhaust cut out valve with normal flow through 2.5” silencers and open mode to 3” bypass.? You can control valve from inside cab to adjust flow & noise or even automate if you wish. No reason to live with a drone!

Jimb
its a possible option.

HKS Hi Power single exit is a real quiet system. Sounds great though. Nice rumble but doesn't drone.
I had them on my gt4 and evo and found it was too loud for me personally. with the silencer in it was bearable but i think I’m just an ol grampa now ☺

·
Super Moderator
3,236 Posts
its a possible option.

I had them on my gt4 and evo and found it was too loud for me personally. with the silencer in it was bearable but i think I’m just an ol grampa now ☺
The MR2 one is really quiet. It's still louder Han stock but it's not like the BERK. Not that the BERK is silly loud but as a comparison.

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Are you sure it is the exhaust and not the engine mount that is on the rear firewall? Using poly on those mounts causes a crap load of drone. I use poly on all mounts except the rear firewall, I use a stock OEM rubber mount. If it is sill the exhaust, you might want to to add a wrap to it. The Berk 3" is a good pipe. We are just talking about the downpipe right? Once you start talking mufflers, you have to add that into the mix as well. All lightened thin-walled exhaust components add noise pretty much.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are you sure it is the exhaust and not the engine mount that is on the rear firewall? Using poly on those mounts causes a crap load of drone. I use poly on all mounts except the rear firewall, I use a stock OEM rubber mount. If it is sill the exhaust, you might want to to add a wrap to it. The Berk 3" is a good pipe. We are just talking about the downpipe right? Once you start talking mufflers, you have to add that into the mix as well. All lightened thin-walled exhaust components add noise pretty much.
yes I have poly mounts and it does extend vibrations and sound into the cabin…

I have noticed the current exhaust is most loud in the low rpm range 1-3 k rpm. Going to try the tcs single and see how that goes.

The somewhat “factory” looking style exhaust will help lower my heat score with piggies…maybe get it ceramic coated black?

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
yes I have poly mounts and it does extend vibrations and sound into the cabin…

I have noticed the current exhaust is most loud in the low rpm range 1-3 k rpm. Going to try the tcs single and see how that goes.

The somewhat “factory” looking style exhaust will help lower my heat score with piggies…maybe get it ceramic coated black?
Anything that doesn't look like a cat house.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
TCS single muffler dual tips no cat and a 3 inch downpipe is QUIET!!! I was hoping for some tone but I guess I can’t complain its alot better than drony, loud and potential for piggies to hassle me🤙

·
Registered
996 Posts
TCS single muffler dual tips no cat and a 3 inch downpipe is QUIET!!! I was hoping for some tone but I guess I can’t complain its alot better than drony, loud and potential for piggies to hassle me🤙
I’m getting to pulling the trigger on TCS one. Debating whether to get the CAT with it.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I’m getting to pulling the trigger on TCS one. Debating whether to get the CAT with it.
If you are looking for quiet than you’ve made a great choice. If you wanted noise one could always install a electronic cut out valve. so its noisy or quiet when needed.

are you in a state that requires it? do you care if you sometimes stink? I think that can help you decide 👍

·
Registered
996 Posts
If you are looking for quiet than you’ve made a great choice. If you wanted noise one could always install a electronic cut out valve. so its noisy or quiet when needed.

are you in a state that requires it? do you care if you sometimes stink? I think that can help you decide 👍
I’m from California. I’m running without the second CAT on the OEM exhaust. It doesn’t smell that bad.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
with all the drama of how strict Cali is having at least one cat installed would save one from all the headaches. having a cataylic converter will always help with the exhaust fumes. will you be using an aftermarket downpipe?

I’m not sure if the tcs systems connects to an oem downpipe with cat?

·
Registered
996 Posts
with all the drama of how strict Cali is having at least one cat installed would save one from all the headaches. having a cataylic converter will always help with the exhaust fumes. will you be using an aftermarket downpipe?

I’m not sure if the tcs systems connects to an oem downpipe with cat?
I am running with OEM down pipe and CAT. I don’t know if TCS ones hook up to OEM down pipe though. I need to do research before pulling the trigger.

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
California cannot violate a CAT that is made for a different car from what I understand. They can only violate non-CARB approved equipment. I think there is a loophole about putting a Ford CAT on a Toyota car. Mine is stainless and I welded flex tube on the front and rear of the CAT. It is the exact size as the B pipe so that I can remove it for racing.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts