MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i just got my car back from the shop and was wondering if anyone has had this problem...its before my turbo which is why i think my car has lost some of its getup and go...any and all replys would be great...any suggestions...might be getting it fixd tomorrow.

thanks
dan thomas

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
it happens to a lot of 91-92 manifolds. yours might be warped and need it have it resurfaced. toyota revised this with the 93+ manifold with the 9 holes instead of the 91-92 7.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey thanks to both of you...yeah this really sucks...i dont even want to drive the thing...nice car to...thanks again...i am having it looked at tomorrow by a couple of really good friends of mine who are both mechanics...they are going to find out what stud it is...would it be worth replacing all of them? or am i not thinking corectly?
i have only had this car for about a month now and i am new to the turbo world...but i'll tell you i love it....untill it breaks...

·
Registered
828 Posts
don't worry about it too much.. A lot of 91-92's do it.. The weight of the turbo assm and the aluminum head pulls the studs out over time and hard shifts.
The fix is well tested, cheap and simple.
I'll dig on the other computer for the part number but the gist of it is:
You need about 7 helicoil tread repair treads. This sounds at first like a shady solution but the reality is: the new steel repair coils provide more surface area against the softer aluminum and will hold better than ever..
The DSM guys have had the same problems for years and This solution has stood the test of time.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what is involved in changin out the studs? am i going to have to take apart half the engine? obviously there is a few things to take off but honestly how much is there to take off of the engine to replace a bolt...also..any clue on how much those studs cost?
thanks

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
You'll need to take off the exhaust, turbocharger, and exhaust manifold. Then you can remove the studs. You might also want to consider a repair kit from timesert intead of helicoils.
I would check to see if any of the bolts holding the exhaust manfold on are not tight. If they are not, see if you can tighten them. If they just turn and turn, then you'll need to fix the studs with timeserts or helicoils. If they are all tight, chances are the exhaust manfold is warped. In that case, just take the manifold to a machine shop and have them machine it flat. Cost me around $50.00 for a shop to do it.
Hope that helps.

Water Injection Kits

·
Registered
987 Posts
replace it with a new one bec they cracked esp the 91 cars get a new studs and new nuts do it right a the first time you save money later on the labor

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
IMO, I would keep the manifold you have and get it resurfaced. I had a manifold warp and I replaced it with a new one. Not too long later it also warped - had that one resurfaced and it has been fine for a long time.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
awesome...doesnt sound to difficult...my father in law has been a lics. mech. for over 20 years...he should be able to help me...if not i have a couple of friends that both own mr2 are both really really good with them...thanks guys...big big help!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts