MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please post a pic of your drop =)

I am buying a set this weekend, mounted on 93+ stock schocks and I just want to know exactly what to expect. I have wheels sitting here already so I am dman excited to find otu what it till look like. ANY pics would be appreciated.

btw 93+ shocks would bolt right onto my 92 just like normal right?

and for this kind of spring rate:
TRD
F: 168lb/in (supposedly progressive, haven't seen the range though)
R: 308lb/in (same as fronts) both are 1.0" drop

*taken from spring rate sticky*

is that considered already pretty stiff?

well thanks ahead of time guys.

-Aaron :thumbup

·
Registered
47 Posts
Go in the "street/autox" thread, and scroll down until you see the picture of UTMR2turbo's white MR2T. He has the H&R springs, which have a .4 front/.3 rear inch drop difference opposed to the TRD springs. This should give you somewhat of an idea of what your car might look like with a 1 inch drop.

You could also browse the MR2s at cardomain until you found one with the TRD spring setup.

Sorry, I'm new to this forum, so my help is extremely limited.

·
Registered
761 Posts
They are a 1 inch drop from 91 springs. If you had 93 springs before, the drop is gonna be pretty minimal. 93 Shocks will be fine, TRD springs were made with stock struts in mind thus they are one of the softer springs you can get. The spring rates given are the stiffest in its range, I'm pretty sure the softer part of the range is prolly near stock or even softer.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
but it is sufficient to improve handling above stock noticeably?

·
Registered
761 Posts
It generally will feel stiffer than stock and will also give less body roll, plus the drop isn't drastic at all (The MKII MR2 begins to see geometry problems when the drop is too much, like beyond ~1.25 inches I think). But overall, you will be happier than the stock setup, just don't expect a whole lot.

·
Registered
21,388 Posts
TRD springs were made with stock struts in mind thus they are one of the softer springs you can get.
huh? they're quite a bit lower than 91 springs. sitting right next to a prokitted 91, you can tell my car is lower.. the prokits are still lower than stock. at 100lbs extra rate in the rear, i dont think they were designed with stock struts in mind at all..

they're good springs. if they are progressive, the rate change is very low. you really cant tell that they're progressive driving them.. unlike prokits which has a horribly large range of progression.

buy struts. dont mess around with lower, stiffer springs on crappy old stock struts.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I always suspect most TRD parts (at least in the US) were made to be installed by a dealership which also means the car would retain all warranties. I have never seen TRD struts so that is what I assumed. I'm not saying he should use those springs with old stock struts, I'm just saying his setup has some slight improvement. How progressive are they? The range doesn't give the whole story as some springs are straight up half this rate, half another rate while others slowly change rates along the spring.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
funny thing about this is the dealership i work at installs tein s-tech springs onto scion tc's using stock struts. in the long run im not sure its to good but then again the car is still very new and if anything the owner won't notice it untill 1-2yrs down the line. if its under warrantee i don't know but it does have me questioning it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yeah... if your installing new springs, you might as well throw in some new struts while your at it. Of course, this means you'll have to spend more money and be a little bit more patient, but you'll most likely be replacing those old shocks later on, anyways. (better now, than later.)

You know what they say, "Beans always taste better with cornbread"... Actually, I don't believe I've ever heard that saying before, but it sounds right.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well th thing is im buying them for my 92. they are already mounted on 95 struts. only about 45K miles on the struts, and 10K on springs.

my main question is. do the 95 struts add to the drop, compared to having TRD springs on 92 struts? The struts are still in good condition, i might as well sav up for konis or tokicos, instead of just rushing and buying cheap shocks. i mean since theyre mounted, might as well just use them til theyre gone right?

-Aaron

·
Registered
21,388 Posts
struts have no impact on ride height.
well th thing is im buying them for my 92. they are already mounted on 95 struts.
so they're only 11 years old instead of 14 ;) time kills components, as does mileage. if you dont mind doing the same job twice, sure go ahead and use them.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
you could go ahead and use those, but when you start to bottom out every where and bounch like a ball your going to regreat not getting qaulity shocks that could withstand aftermarket springs. just my 2 cent

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
rdyzz said:
you could go ahead and use those, but when you start to bottom out every where and bounch like a ball your going to regreat not getting qaulity shocks that could withstand aftermarket springs. just my 2 cent
i dont think 45K miles on struts is that bad. and TRD isnt that aggressive of a drop either, IMO. Dont trip man im jsut doing this to save up for Tokico Illuminas. Since the TRD's are already mounted on fairly new struts, I will just use them for the next 3-4 months. =)

-Aaron

·
Registered
47 Posts
The drop might not be that aggressive, but the 100lb./in. difference in the rear spring rate will be interesting on those stock struts.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
onyxaltezza im not trippin sorry if it came out like that to you.

·
Registered
47 Posts
It's funny... when my friend put springs on his GTI, it dropped his car somewhere around 1.5 in". When you compare his ride height with mine, which is stock, they are almost identical. He says that it has dropped exactly were it should be now. I guess GTI's have a high ride height when they leave the factory.

If you look at spring drops universally, a 1" drop isn't that aggressive, but for our cars, I guess it is. Actually, it might be too much... I don't know, but I'm going to be installing some H&R's on my 92 in a few weeks. Maybe I should have re-thought my suspension setup... or maybe some of these manufacturers, should re-think there spring designs for our MR2s.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
looking at some pics when my 91' was stock it was quite high there was alot of tire gap even for a sports car.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts