MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was just wondering if this is true for any other MR2 owners. I try to like American cars, but there owners really turn me off with how cock headed they are. They will compare 427's to 2.0 turbo's as if its a fair comparison to begin with. Last night I ran into not the brightest crayons in the box, who would not stop hassling me for having an import. Calling my mr2 a peice of ____ (despite ford recently recalling 792,000 pickups just last week) and blah blah blah. I asked them if there all about the quarter, and whats fastest, than why not go out and get a 4000 dollar R6 that runs 10's from the factory? Afterall if this about what can go down the quarter the fastest and I cant think of one american anything that does 10's from the factory. They simply ignored that and said "oh my brothers,uncles,dad's formers roommate has a v8 that eats motorcycles". If your gonna swing from another racers nuts, than are they even worth my time?

Im not biased against american v8's, but people who like v8's and think nothing else compares is what causes me to hate them. And japans answer to the big block is the bike, not 1 american anything can do 9's from the factory like the suzuki hayabusa can.

Oh and by the way, the stock 91 MR2 turbo could smoke every stock American v8 in the same price range as the MR2 post gas crisis up til about 1993 for those that dont know (of course this is on stock boost, a simple boost controller and 4 more lb's of boost would still put it at the top) http://www.pr.streetracing.org/whats_new.html#Chevrolet

Any1 else have this problem with ignorant individuals like the ppl I ran into last night?

·
Registered
27,751 Posts
Ignorances amongst owners surpasses car manufactures and name plates.
I have met and raced with jerks of all vintages and varieties.
I have also met nice people from both "Worlds."

I think the jerk-syndrome has a lot to do with guys (in particular) that need to have a fast car to beat other people.

Honestly, I am just interested in beating myself ... maybe I should rephrase that :lol:

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
oh yeah.. i get it from my freidns that are volkswagen freaks.. they are always like.. your car is nice but it isn't as quick as my vdub.. I tell him that i might get a new engine and then they all say cool but it wont beat my car.. I'm thinking, im not even implying that i will or want to race your car

·
Registered
799 Posts
I get that alot. I even work with people that drive american v8. I just tell them flat out, toyota quality will last a lot longer, better gas mileage, and more chicks dig it. Most of them just talk about quarter mile and how they can be me. So i say ok that one thing you can beat me at. Then I say how about braking? How about handleing? I just give them hell back.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
The sad thing its not just stupid folk liking american cars, you do have a lot of idiots that are totally biased towards imports too. It won't end untill you get rid of the idiots, when is that going to stop?.....who knows....IMO real car people don't favor where the car came from just how its made/engineered/performs (thats what I look for)

·
Registered
64 Posts
no not really. I am well aware that my car will never be able to beat a V8 in the Quater mile if he also is tuning his to a similar amount. The saying really is true there is no replacement for displacement. The V8's simply have more to work with that a 4 cylinder. If he strips his car and turbo's his 8 im most likely not going to be beating that guy anytime soon. No the MR2 even the turbo will probably not beat every American car with a V8 in its price range, since they dont hold their value worth a piss. You can pick up a firehawk for around 12k or a SS that could probably give a MR2T a good run for its money unless the MR2 was modded. But yes you are right V8's during the gas crisis were not the most powerful things out of the box but it doesnt take too much to get one of those to wake up once you get rid of all the emissions crap. You just have to admit that yes your 4 cylinder turbo even modded probably will not hang with the hardcore V8 tuners in the quarter. Get over it and take you car to the track or Auto X where it will destroy.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea, I agree with everyones comments. I use to be extremely bias'd to the point of idiocy towards imports, becuz I would associate with equally idiotic american v8 guys who hastled me for owning a miata.

Then I went to the track, and it didnt matter what you had, whats fast is fast no matter who makes it. A 5.0 might be able to stomp a civic, but then someone would come up with a supra TT with drag radials and run a mid 11, and destroy the 427 sitting in the next lane over. I looked into the 5.0 before I got the MR2, and figured I would rather have a better quartermile, higher top speed and 1/3 better fuel mileage, better handling and stopping distance, than the ford. Even with tuning, I bet I can get the MR2 to run a 12 with less than 3000 dollars into the engine (only cuz i would want to go with an expensive externally waste gated 20g) if i just follow the 3sgte power primer.

And I was comparing stock v8's to the stock MR2, that link shows qtr mile times of several different cars b4 99 and the qtr for the 91 mr2 and 0-60 is faster than the camaro,firebird and 5.0 of that same year.

·
Registered
27,751 Posts
I think when he refered to "in the same price range" he was talking about new car prices at the time when the turbo MR2 first came out.

·
Registered
8,297 Posts
that is when I laugh and say lets take it to the track. :) Their looks are so priceless after a little 4 banger whoops on them. But one of my best friends drives a Mustang 5.0 and he is not a cocky _______ like others. It is just the person.

·
Registered
168 Posts
A friend of mine is from the 'merican-heavy-car-big-engine school of thought. The first time he rode in my MK1, I had him grabbing the oh sh- handles and searching for the passenger-side brakes. After that, he understood there are different kinds of speed.
It's also fun to explain to these guys how many "American" cars are built outside the US, by non-US citizens and how many "imports" are built here in the US by Americans.
tasteycow

·
Administrator
42,296 Posts
you guys are so full of yourself and your baby engines... Prove your manhood and come out to NA2005 and let me whoop on your lawn mower engines with my V8... come on ... bring it on... cuz I am bringing it!!!!

·
Registered
21,388 Posts
9 out of 10 times ill take the domestic guys over the tyte importz nut swingers.. at least they usually have something substantial to back it up.

most people dont care about handling or braking.. my car does both well, and it makes me happy.. i dont feel the need to justify that to other people :)

·
Registered
8,297 Posts
Bill Strong said:
you guys are so full of yourself and your baby engines... Prove your manhood and come out to NA2005 and let me whoop on your lawn mower engines with my V8... come on ... bring it on... cuz I am bringing it!!!!
Hey Bill I will be at NA2005 with my little puny 1.6L and we will see who gets whooped. ;) Oh and BTW make sure you are running on all your cylinders for this event. :p You will need them

1 - 20 of 68 Posts