MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 91 MR2 NA with a few miles on it. the odm says 157,000 althought the seedo cable was broke, so best guess is it has at least this or more. The engine runs strong and sounds good, but has a oil leak. Any MR2 over 150,000 will usually develop an oil leak, so I was prepaired for this. Since I dont have a mechanic yet (in houston) and im a bit of a noob my question is

a) should I just tune up the engine (replace timing belt, gaskets, seals, etc...)
b) should I save the money since the miles on the engine are high and just rebuild it.
c) should I again save the money on a tune up and just get a new one from like ATS or equiv.

If the enging sounded like crap this would be easy. Im a little afraid for spending 600$ replacing parts and having the engine crap out in a year or so, when I could have used the 600$ toward the rebuild or new engine.

any help is greatly appreciated.
thanks guys.
-J- :feedback:

·
Registered
557 Posts
I'd check the compression, replace the plugs, wires, cap and rotor. I didn't open mine until 200,000 when I spun a rod bearing.

If the timing belt has more the 60k I'd think about replacing it.

A lot depends if you're doing the work yourself or paying someone.

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Hey, welcome to the board. Always nice to see another Texan.

Where is the leak and how much is it consuming? Did the PO put synthetic in it? If so, a switch back to dino oil just might do the trick. Worked on my NA when I had it and put another 25k on it. The current owner hasn't reported any leaks, either, and he runs it hard.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no he didnt use synthetic. It looks like its comming from the top of my block. its a decent leak, probaby consumes a quart every week or 2.

I wont be doing any of the work myself, so the difference is 600 to for new seals belts tune up....risking 2000 down the road (how soon nobody knows)

or saving the 600 and just going for the 2000 new engine.

ill ask a mechanic about a compression test when I get there in a week....how much does that usually run $$$

1 - 4 of 4 Posts