MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone...

As you may know, now that I have an MR2 again I'm working on some MR2 editorial for future issues (you'll see a piece about some of kbox's goodies probably in the May issue, by the way). Anyway, one of the stories I'm working on is a breakdown of the various popular swps and an overview of each. I'm not looking to do a step-by-step manual on each one, just giving a prospective swapper a heads up about what he or she has gotten themself into.

In doing preliminary research, I'm having a hard time finding any kind of consensus about what the various swaps entail. One guy wil say: "Oh yeah, the 20v is a direct bolt-in plug-and-play... piece of cake."

To which the reply would be: "Bolts right in, huh?"

"Yeah, bolts right in, except the wiring is a pain."

"So it doesn't just bolt right in; there's some wiring hybridization to be done?"

"Yeah, but except for that, easy swap, bolts right in. Oh, and you have to re-route the fuel and cooling lines..."

You get the picture.

So, any help you guys could provide to help me distill some of this information and cut through the internet BS would be much appreciated. The way I figure, I'll focus on the major five swaps (Smal-port, GZE, Silvertop, Blacktop and 3SGTE).

Now, as part of this I may also end up doing a swap on my own car. Although I haven't made up my mind yet, my initial thoughts are to do a small-port or a GZE. But, like I said, that's a while off as well. Feel free to attempt to talk me into or out of any combination.

This story is still a ways off (probably late summer or fall at the earliest) so I'm not in a hurry. Feel free to post here, but if you have some good solid info could you email it to me as well ([email protected]). That way I'm less likely to lose it.

Thanks a bunch. Have a great weekend.

J.G. Pasterjak
Grassroots Motorsports magazine
Classic Motorsports magazine

P.S. As always, if you want a free issue just go to our website and you can sign up to get one. www.grassrootsmotorsports.com. Had to get that plug in somewhere...

·
Administrator
42,296 Posts
None of those are major swaps. I have a major swap just for ya! www.v8mr2.com
I am also building 2 MK1.5s and have done a few small ports along with having all the parts for a 20v Turbo swap.
Just email me or look at www.v8mr2.com
I can provide you wil gobs of print ready images (the ones on the website are web ready)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the Toystar would probably be an excellent sidebar to the story?although I think that the power lines near your house have eroded the "reasonable and prudent" area of you brain. I was disappointed that the SHO-powered MR2 at the last Challenge didn't run very well because I always thought that was a cool engine.

Of course, 4.6 liters and 32 valves is the ultimate exclamation point.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
lol JG don't have any more info on that SHO powered 2 do ya? :)...

hopefuly i'll be meeting ya in a few months here... but at the rate i'm going i'll end up in the neon for the trip :(... not that i'll be in the challenge unless soone donates the spot to me haha

anyway i say do a budget boost setup on the mr2 :)...

er anyway i'm sure some people will chime in about the various swaps... i'll email you links to some of the better writeups on them that i can find in a bit here... gota feed cooper now though doh

mark

·
Registered
48 Posts
A 4age turbo-on-a-low budget story'd be fine for me. Then again, I'm a sucker for any good write up of a good swap well done.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh yeah, Bill's post reminded me... If anyone that has done any of these swaps has good pictures, I'll be in the market for some of these as well. I probably won't need step by step, but showing the potential pitfalls of each combo visually is always a plus.

jg

J.G. Pasterjak
Grassroots Motorsports magazine
Classic Motorsports magazine

1 - 8 of 8 Posts