MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I'm looking into doing a JDM Gen 2 swap sometime within the year possibly and I live in Redmond right now. I'm just curious how many of you in the area have any experience on doing these and what sort of advice I might need, also if you know of any good importers of clips if you've had any experiences with them as well. I have access to a shop, lifts, tools, etc. Anyways any advice would be great thanks, also anything else I'll need other than the rear clip

·
Mad Collector!
554 Posts
Ive done a USDM 2nd gen swap into an NA and can help with the mechanical questions and Pat www.mrtwo.net has done a third gen JDM in his car and can help you with any questions- he has the wiring harness down to a science. most rear clips are all you need to make it work.. you might want to upgrade your fuel pump while the motors out. my advice on that is to buy a new one. I bought a used supra TT fuel pump and it seized a week after installing it.. the fuel tank is a bitch to drop.. Clips are getting more and more common nowadays and finding a reputable distributer should be easy.. good luck with your project.. you can check mine out here.
www.cardomain.com/memberpage/576320/1

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I have swapped a 93 JDM turbo engine into my 91 n/a... i can also help you with the mechanical aspect and some of the electrical, though there are better people in our local area than me who can answer the electrical questions *they also helped me on my swap*... haha a few other guys also have JDM MR2 turbos around my local area... And yes, i second the notion for pump upgrade, i also went with a Supra TT pump, and the tank was a bitch to PUT BACK IN, though not too bad taking out = )

I got my clip from Ron at Motors Unlimited in CA... he's a good guy, and will give you the best possible condition clip he can find for you.. he seriously inspects each clip personally and does compression tests before he ships to you.. if it doesnt look good, he wont sent it, or if it totally _____ on you, he will take care of you... *he helped me tons..*

a lift and those such tools will make the swap about 1/2 as hard as it was for the rest of us.. good luck = )

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for all of the info, as far as third Gen clips go, I've noticed that quite a few members on here have said that parts are not as easily available as the gen 2. Is this true? Also what dealer do you usually buy parts from? I'm assuming Burien Toyota is one, but are there any others around here? Anyways thankyou for all of the information and will to help, this is a project that is expected to take quite awhile, but any info now is very helpful so I have some ideas on what to do and what not to do, thanks

·
Mad Collector!
554 Posts
Hey, yeah no problem man, good luck with your project. Yeah Nateness, that is exactly what I ment.. I wrote that it was a bitch to drop but more specifically it was putting it back up with the cooling lines.. ;) PITA.. not as bad as trying to put a tranny up without a jack!.. I do not recommend that to anyone..still I can laugh now that it's up there but trying to line the shaft up with your arms shaking and mouth spitting out every profanity imaginable... anyway, Ray from Burien will help you with anything that you need and so can most of the other Dealerships.. on the clips,I've only heard good things about Jarco down in Canton GA but shipping will take a few extra days- look them up on ebay -another thing that came to mind was to throw a new timing belt in there and clutch: also definitely replace the hose from hell and the axle oil seals. these are just good preventative maintenance issues that you will be thanking yourself later on down the road.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah definatlely putting the tranny in without a jack does not sound fun, we've put in some trannies here, but usually with some stands and a couple guys. I did look at Jarco, they do look very professional and I'll probably contact them. Thanks for the suggestions on those parts to swap while the engine is out, I will be sure to make sure the hose from hell gets changed cuz I really do not want to deal with that thing later on haha. Fuel pump sounds like a good idea too. I know have more questions, but they just cannot come to mind, I"m sure as this project starts up I'll be on here with more questions, thanks again for all of your willingness to help out with information and everything

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
dont forget:
hose from hell on earth
water pump
oil pump(? i didnt do this one?)
ALL the "heater hoses"
91turbo speed sensor and adaptor

Note: When pulling coolant lines from firewall, it is VERY, VERY easy to tweak the metal lines that protrude from the wall... in fact, almost everyone does this, so be prepared to use higher strength clamps on those to compensate if you do...

- Nate

·
Mad Collector!
554 Posts
Pat..
SuperStupid is more like it ;) I have the "dead cockroach" technique down pat.. first you straddle sit behind the tranny with spindle side facing down, lay back on your back and pull the tranny onto your stomach, tuck your knees up and get them under the tranny to hold most of the weight and 'all together' thrust the tranny up and hope it lines up. this is a very stupid way of doing it so please anyone reading DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME. I am one of those guys that will die trying and almost did on the tranny. it is very heavy to be doing it by yourself.. I have since retired my cockroach technique and bought a transmission jack for my last clutch replacement.. which reminds me.. you or Shane need to add some text to your clutch replacement page it is still informative but would really be helpful if you pointed out some things.. So whens the next MR2 meet?
-Tim

·
Registered
941 Posts
dude, i never use a jack to reinstall the tranny, I have a friend who can bench around 270lbs, so the 100lbs tranny is no problem for him to manuiver while under my car. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts