·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here is my entire situation.

I have a 1991 MR2 NA.

I got a JDM Gen II Engine.

Got a USDM Turbo Body Harness

Everything is plugged in except the little tiny plug from the injector/resisitor pack, and i even hooked up my friends.

MSD Ignition Coil is connected

Turbo/NA Ignitor both used.

Tailights are cut though in half.

My car is cranking, but not producing spark anywhere.

Can anyone help me I will pay you if you give info leading to the car starting.

Thx

Sam

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.

Battery is good.

Gas is good, and i am gettin fuel, because i can hear it, and once when my fuel line was off, gas was russhing out.

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
The tiny plug goes to a resistor that the igniter uses to fire the coil. It should be a small oval two prong plug

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have any pictures of what plug ur talkin about? Is this the plug that goes to the Injector/Resistor Pack?

Thx

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
Check your igniter. BGB has instructions. If that is good (and it should be if you're not getting CEL 12 or 14) then check primary/secondary resistances of the coil. If coil is good disconnect the coil wire from the distributor and hold the end about 1/4" from a ground and crank the car. If there is no spark then something is wrong with that wire

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Coil is good because it is a brand new MSD Blaster SS Coil

I was told a NA ignitor would work, so i installed that, and yet no spark anywhere. It also didnt work with the Turbo Ignitor.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When i remove the plug going from the ignitor to the coil and crank, there is no spark.

How would I go about checking the ignitor, because i used the NA one, which did work on my car before teh swap.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
is the igniter properly grounded? It will not work otherwise

Another common problem because its hard to see.. have you plugged the distributor plug in? It goes sort of underneath and is easy to miss

-Tristan

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I never tocuhed the distributor plug, because it looks plugged in, i will check that.

As for the ignitor, it is grounded, by bolting it to the frame, which im told grounds it, correct?

Thx

Sam

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
stealth said:
I never tocuhed the distributor plug, because it looks plugged in, i will check that.

As for the ignitor, it is grounded, by bolting it to the frame, which im told grounds it, correct?

Thx

Sam
yep correct. what ECU are you using? Are you aware that some JDM ECUs use a different pinout to the USDM ECU & harness? Though having said that, the pinout change shouldnt prevent spark.. its only minor. Have you tested the coil?

-Tristan

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am using a JDM Gen II Ecu, witha USDM Harness. Just incase the coil wasnt working i used a MSD Blaster SS Coil, and the previous coil read a couple ohms over recommended.

Sam

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
I have two fried Blaster SS coils. Apparently they are not as robust as the Blaster 2 coil currrently on my car.

NA ignitor will not work in a turbo car. Also ignitors are different between 91/92 and 93+. Since it is a JDM ECU it could be possible you need a 93+ ignitor, alternaltely the ignitors for 92-95 4runners and LS/SC400's are identical.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
But why would i need a 93+ Ignitor when the engine is a 91/92, the ignitor that came with it didnt work.

And people have infact used the NA ignitor on the Turbo, it just is not as good, and causes problems after 5000 RPM.

Thanks

·
blown ringland in cyl #3
1,343 Posts
Check the EFI fuse as well. Also look at the distributor. it might be cracked and you don't even know it.

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
stealth said:
But why would i need a 93+ Ignitor when the engine is a 91/92, the ignitor that came with it didnt work.

And people have infact used the NA ignitor on the Turbo, it just is not as good, and causes problems after 5000 RPM.

Thanks
Because you are using a J-spec ECU. It doesnt matter what engine it is, the ignitor works on the signals going to/from the ECU and there for they must be matched. Did you check the IGF/IGT signal at the igniter?

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No i did not, how do i go abouts checking that?

So are you saying the ignitor that came with the engine is fried, and I may need a 93+ ignitor?

Sam

1 - 20 of 28 Posts