MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help diagnosing my engine I just did a transmission replacement and put everything back together and I try to start it and I get a lot of clicking vomming from the battery, the car was able to start before maybe I put a ground in the wrong place or the starter cables in the wrong section if someone could provide me with the proper diagrams for the starter Nd ground linking points I'd greatly appreciate it unless it could possibly be a low battery but I checked up with a digital multimeter and it read to 11.5 hookedup.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
I've posted a bit about the starting system lately. See if you can find some posts about it. If you get stuck let me know. Download the 93 SW20 wiring diagram. Don't worry, wiring is the same but this diagram is in colour.

Have to put on all the earth straps? 2 on the gearbox. If you took the engine out there are more.

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
clicking coming from the actual battery seems like bad terminals or loose connection. ye probably already had a look but sometimes its easy to miss the simple stuff. 11.5v is low. if the battery won't keep charged above 12v then its time to replace it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
clicking coming from the actual battery seems like bad terminals or loose connection. ye probably already had a look but sometimes its easy to miss the simple stuff. 11.5v is low. if the battery won't keep charged above 12v then its time to replace it.

(Update)
I charged the battery up to 12.6V and now it cranks but won't start my dad suggested trying to put some starter fluid in it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The starter turns and I haven't touched any components on the engine to make it not turn on

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tried the starter fluid, didn't work so now I hve reason to believe it is ignition I took the 1St and 2nd spark plugs out and checked for spark and there was none so I need to diagnose where in my ignition system did it fail my spark plug wires? My rotor cap? My coil? Or my coil plug? All these will be getting tested from cheapest fix to most expensive.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Pull the cap off and make sure the dizzy turns when you try to start it.
If for some reason you pulled the distributor it could be 180 degrees out of tune.
Did you check the ignition fuse for continuity and power?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I didn't touch the distibuter until now and I replaced rotor cap, spark plug wires, and ignition coil and still not stsrting

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Did you remove the harness off the engine? There are ground points for the ECU and sensors on the manifold that are the main earth points. No earth means no ECU able to do ignition or injectors.
There are other ground points on the engine to the chassis too. One on the right side near the oil filler cap to the strut tower, two on the gearbox back to the chassis rail on the left. If the starter is working you may have some of these connected but not all.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did you remove the harness off the engine? There are ground points for the ECU and sensors on the manifold that are the main earth points. No earth means no ECU able to do ignition or injectors.
There are other ground points on the engine to the chassis too. One on the right side near the oil filler cap to the strut tower, two on the gearbox back to the chassis rail on the left. If the starter is working you may have some of these connected but not all.

For the ground point on the gearbox i linked up the bigger ground where it is supposed to go but there is a smaller one that I put under a support on the transmission.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
I understand you have removed the gearbox but did you also take the engine out at the same time? Any wiring to the ECU that was removed?

To make an engine run you need fuel, spark, correct timing and compression. It's frustrating when you take off one thing that doesn't relate to the running of the engine but then you put it back together it refuses to start. Had that happen a few times and it's always been something simple. Check all the basic things first. Go back through waht you did to remove parts and check they are all back where they should be.

Check if you are getting fuel when cranking
Check for spark. I know, you aren't getting any, it's just a step in the checking process.
Check your ECU connections
Check your coil and igniter connections
Check that ECU earth under the intake manifold

One small thing can stop the whole system working. You will figure it out. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I understand you have removed the gearbox but did you also take the engine out at the same time? Any wiring to the ECU that was removed?

To make an engine run you need fuel, spark, correct timing and compression. It's frustrating when you take off one thing that doesn't relate to the running of the engine but then you put it back together it refuses to start. Had that happen a few times and it's always been something simple. Check all the basic things first. Go back through waht you did to remove parts and check they are all back where they should be.

Check if you are getting fuel when cranking
Check for spark. I know, you aren't getting any, it's just a step in the checking process.
Check your ECU connections
Check your coil and igniter connections
Check that ECU earth under the intake manifold

One small thing can stop the whole system working. You will figure it out. :)

How would check for fuel? And spark I just ground the spark plug to the head while connected to the spark plug wire. And another thing I disconnected the coil from it's bracket on the chasis when I went to replace it and left it hanging to see if the car would start could that be why it won't start with the new stuff?

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
How would check for fuel? And spark I just ground the spark plug to the head while connected to the spark plug wire. And another thing I disconnected the coil from it's bracket on the chasis when I went to replace it and left it hanging to see if the car would start could that be why it won't start with the new stuff?
You can always try it. The wiring diagram doesn't suggest it earths through the metal bracket.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Definitely check for fuel pressure/delivery. If u have no spark but fuel pressure then it’s a problem with the ignition system. If u have no spark AND no fuel pressure/injector pulse then u probably left a ground off or blew a fuse and/or possible the circuit opening/main relay. Check for power at those relays and the EFI fuse. No power at those and the whole system is dead. Then u can go backwards from those fuses and relays and see where ur break in the circuit is.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just a rule of thumb if mine....if it worked before I worked on it then it’s 100 % something I did wrong. Sometimes u have to accept that u messed it up before I blame a bunch of parts that had nothing to do with it. Lol. Not being condescending or anything it’s literally a pride thing that took me years to get over. Thinking that I couldn’t have possibly screwed up after 25 yrs of working on the same brand of car......just to find a wire loose an hour later and feel like an idiot lol. With a Toyota it’s always some little stupid thing that when I’ll find it ur gonna be mad u missed it but glad it runs again. Good luck and let us know if u get it ok.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts