MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a terrible and random squeal from the engine on which initially only occured on startup. I obviously thought it was the belts which were old and cracked, so I replaced them along with the tensioner pulley.
Now, it does not squeal as often but it will still do it occasionally.Except it happens even more randomly. Whether I'm in gear, not in gear, low revs, high revs, it squeals for ~15 seconds, then dissapears. Got any ideas? Also, it doesn't sound like the normal chirping that a crapped out throw out bearing would make.

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
i think your belts (most likely the alternator belt) are not properly tensioned. after the new belts run on the car for a little while you hafta tighten them again.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
they're right. it's the belts. mine sqeaks like a mofo especially after it rains or if its extremely cold out.

·
Registered
494 Posts
CHeck to see how much you can twist the belts after tightening it. if you can turn it 90 degrees and you keep tightening it, then its your belt and you more than likely need to get the next size down. Thats what happened to my friend.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts