MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently bought a 92 Mr2. the engine is blown. everything is in mint condition. I'm am debating which engine i want to put in. i am thinking of getting the non turbo engine the eventually making it turbo. from what i here doing that u will lose out on hp making it turbo than just buying the original turbo engine. does anyone know of a place were i can get a replacement engine for under a 1000?

·
Turtle Racer
16,058 Posts
replacement turbo longblock? just check the boards or ebay. there's one for sale for 650+shipping. stock longblock, over 100K miles, working condition when pulled, however no exhaust mani or turbo i believe. so would need more parts to fit. I've seen some in the forum for 1000+shipping pretty much complete.

What engine came with the car, that'll help out alot. Swapping in a turbo engine from an already turbo car, is easier than doing NA-> turbo swap.

5sfe longblocks shouldn't cost THAT much i don't think, wait for someone doing a turbo swap to pick up the parts or check out a local junkyard.

·
Turtle Racer
16,058 Posts
a way to see is check the vin, the first 4 characters will tell you. i think its sw21 for turbos and sw22 for NA's? i might have that backwards.

·
Turtle Racer
16,058 Posts
^ true, but from his last post, he said, "owner said it was a non turbo" so...it sounded like he had no engine when he bought it...i dono, either way, to the OP, do what you feel you're capable of doing on your budget. whatever you do, just don't half ass it and it'll be aright

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
A ton of N/A guys will say this. If you want N/A buy and N/A if you want Turbo buy a turbo. I would suggest buying a turbo. Money in building the 5sfe will be a lot. a third gen turbo is your best bet with an LSD tranny. Also the reason you dont want to turbo the N/A in my opinion is the tranny. Your looking at a good amount of money to swap out trannys when you turbo that engine. The E153 is a beast and holds a ton of hp i think 700 or so. the S54 hasn't even been tested.

(and Tom up there is going to push you towards the v6 and try to keep you n/a)

·
Premium Member
9,213 Posts
I?m selling the turbo engine for 650+ shipping. get back to me, i also had someone interested in the block with no head. so if you want it i would rather sell it whole. If I don?t hear from you soon ill just end up selling the bottom end with no head to him then sell the head after. The engine was pulled out of a friends 91 mr2 turbo and it ran fine. He just wanted to do a gen 3 swap.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts