MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I need a rebuild or new short block for my '91T. It Smokes a LOT when on boost, lots of black swirling smoke, and it eats oil badly. So I'm told by many that the 3s almost never has valve problems, it's the rings more than likely. So that means rebuild, or new short block, and I'm wondering what people think would be the best option. I'm looking into the stroker kit from ATS, except that my ct27 would then become undersized. I'm running the ct27 kit, with dp and 3'' exh.

I like the idea of a new shortblock mainly because of the time-frame; my car is my daily driver, and I don't want to wait for the machine shops to take all year to get finished. (we rebuilt my brother's engine and machine shop took months).

Any recommendations are appreciated,
anyone tried Chico Race Works' packages? or experience wtih ATS' stroker?

thanks!
~Bruce
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,287 Posts
Well, I always like to know what is wrong with an engine before I take the steps you are about to take. I would suggest doing a good cylinder leakage test first. If you have already done enough evaluation and are planning on doing something to the engine, then I think the short block is a sound choice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,013 Posts
boyracer420 said:
I think I need a rebuild or new short block for my '91T. It Smokes a LOT when on boost, lots of black swirling smoke, and it eats oil badly. So I'm told by many that the 3s almost never has valve problems, it's the rings more than likely. So that means rebuild, or new short block, and I'm wondering what people think would be the best option. I'm looking into the stroker kit from ATS, except that my ct27 would then become undersized. I'm running the ct27 kit, with dp and 3'' exh.

I like the idea of a new shortblock mainly because of the time-frame; my car is my daily driver, and I don't want to wait for the machine shops to take all year to get finished. (we rebuilt my brother's engine and machine shop took months).

Any recommendations are appreciated,
anyone tried Chico Race Works' packages? or experience wtih ATS' stroker?

thanks!
~Bruce
there are quite alot of the CRW rebuilds running around -- 99% have had good luck -- the other 1% poor tuning/install ;)

our quickest "turn around" would be for a shortblock as we are backed up with 10+ 3sgte jobs currently + just had 8 22RE dropped off for "treatment" not to mention all of the other engines we have currently being built (honda, mitsu, ford, chevy, nissan,susuki, etc) -- lead time currently for a longblock is around 2-3 months -- can get a shortblock done in around 1-3 weeks (depending on parts)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,210 Posts
If your not looking to push big power (under 400whp id say), buying a brand new OEM shortblock from toyota is a great idea :)

-Ty
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top