MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 87 MR2 it's got the 1.6 L in it I'm trying with no luck to find another one but if anybody can tell me the easiest conversion the year the transmission the whole works I've had this car for close to 30 years but I don't know how to do an engine swap with all the customizing and everything so the man that's doing it let's just say it has to come as a kid and he can do it I've been looking since June and I'm about ready to lose my full head of hair hahaha if anybody can help me please let me bend your ear a little and figure this out. Signed stumped in Missouri

·
Registered
365 Posts
Do you rely on the car as a daily driver? Any decent engine builder should be able to rebuild the stock engine without much trouble.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't rely on it day-to-day I do have another vehicle but that's not really the issue I budgeted the car for $12,000 for this makeover done the paint job and the wheels and tires that's over $6,000 so with interior and motor transmission I've got 6K left I don't need a supercharger or anything like that I need something like a 3sgte I don't know how to make that happen transmission what to do what to buy all of that I have no clue but that's where it stands there is no motors out there for the 1.6

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
The 1NZ-FE is a relatively modern 1.5-liter engine that you can get for cheap from a wrecked Scion xa or xb or Toyota Yaris or Echo and it bolts up to a C52 transmission. This means all you would need for a swap is a motor mount adapter bracket and some wiring work - plus exhaust of course. Your total budget for this could be under $2,500 including paying someone to to the wiring and fabrication of motor mount and exhaust.

PS. If you are so inclined this engine can be turbocharged to make some crazy power. Look up 1NZ-FE turbo kits.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I recommend you find a later "small-port" 4age from a '91 Corolla GTS. You will have to change to the donor car's ECU

1 - 5 of 5 Posts