MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all,

Today after my 2 warmed up i was driving on the hiway, during full throttle it pulls better than ever, during idle or no boost it runs great. During regular acceleration at about (.5 bar) and holding the car suddenly looses power, sounds like it is missing, and some dark greyish smoke comes out of the tail. Obviously it is not combusting the gas resulting in rich looking exhaust. Wondering what could cause this. The plugs are fairly new, wires are kinda old. BTW it is a 91t with full 3 inch exhaust, 16-17 psi, HKS ssqv, Greddy innercooler with spal fan, Intake (HUGE MOD :smile: ), and some other little stuff. It was raining today and my car always seems to do this while it rains and is cold. I am a little scared of knock but more under full throttle, this is half throttle. Anyway, my guess is soemthing with the rain and my intake, or my plugs/wires? Any thoughts on what it is from you guys????

Thanks!!

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i haven't since i got the car, i know the injectors are stock, if it was running lean, was what i heard knock????

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks.....i wonder if my hks ssqv is leaking....i accidentially took the wrong 4 hex head bolts out and the thing fell apart, i believe i put it back together correctly and with the gasket correctly in place. Hmmmm...might have to try taking it out and putting it back together again. Thanks nd4spd86.

Update: i did some very sensitive testing with it today. It only does it when the motor is warm, it does it between 0 and .4 bar boost, holding steady and above 3400 rpm. it will accelerate perfect and normal untill 3400 rpm then it goes wacko and looses power. Again.....if floored the car pulls like a mother, put this is just like if you were accelerating after a red light and are holding low boost to around 4g's....this is when it acts up. Any more ideas would be helpful...thanks!!

mike

·
Registered
27,751 Posts
Boost leak would not light the check engine.
It would just make your car stutter and run pig rich .... however, you said you are runing perfect at WOT, so that rules out a boost leak.

If it is only happening when it rains, my your ignition is just getting wet and you are getting inconsistent spark. Is you engine bay opened up from stock?

·
Premium Member
11,937 Posts
check your distributor cap and make sure you have have no water or oil in there. Check to make sure the rubber o-ring/seal that goes between the distributor cap and the distributor itself is still there and in good shape.

make sure the black cap/cover on your AFM is still there and has the seal all the way around (unbroken and no chance of leaking).

check yoru timing with a timing light and make sure it's correct.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
would the distributor cause it only to do this under strictly low boost and steady rpm....when i floor it it runs great....at idle it runs great??? any more ideas?

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks baktasht...will do .... at school now without the 2 so will keep you updated on what i find when i go home.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok....had my brother drive it up to me today. It used 25 gallons to go 140 miles. Runs good at low boost and rpm. At highway running it is ____. obviously by the gas milage. My friend said it is a boost leak. Could a boost leak cause this. When it usually puts me in my seat....if feels like a civic ex....so sad!!! help me. what is wrong with my baby!!!

·
Premium Member
11,937 Posts
there are several things that could cause this, one of them being a boost leak... but more importantly your TIMING!!!!

have you checked the timing? have you checked your distributor cap? Is your car burning oil? Have you done a compression check?

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
no oil burnt, running hella rich i can tell you that. Don't have tools up here at school to to compression check or even take off cap. I got nothing and sure as hell don't trust the shops around here. They have those mechanics that have (FORD ONLY) printed on the forhead but say, sure she is a toyota, but where the hell is the motor kind. Not getting her checked up here that is for sure. Gonna put my timing back at 10 and tighten all my boost piping links and see if that helps. Otherwise i am still lost!

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Hey all, my timing is at 14 degrees i believe, haven't had a chance to change it. Anyways today i drove my car, during the drive it would miss anytime i got over 55 mph. It had absolutely no power and when it boosted it was like nothing happened. It felt N/A. So just for kicks i changed out the plugs. It helped a lot. Now it just does it at high speeds and high rpm. So it sounds like it is a mixture of bad ignition components and maybe my timing? sound right??? don't have the tools here to check timing and dig any deeper than plugs and wires. one week left then i am going home!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts