MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey what's the average life of an MK1 non supercharged engine? Around what mileage do they usually die out?

·
Registered
7,077 Posts
all your going to get is "depends on the condition" maintince.... ... ......

·
Registered
6,507 Posts
I've seen nearly dead 4AGEs at 120K miles.
I've seen ones that couldn't be healthier at 300K miles.

So... I'd put it at anywhere from 120-400K miles.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Mine has 150K and still runs as strong as when I bought it at 60K. I am only the second owner, and it's had fresh Mobile 1 every 5K since new. I'm counting on at least another 100K!

·
Registered
881 Posts
4AGE life span

Any engine will last longer if it is operated within reasonable parameters and fed clean oil and air, and routine maintenance. Not considering the weekend replacement items such as seals, timing belt components/cooling system components, the basic block and head should stay mated until some kind of failure. On the 4AGE I have noticed a tendency for the head gasket to fail due to a cupped cylinder head surface, often at the mileage of appx. 170 K.
My first 4AGE blew a HG at this time and I know it was the first time the motor was apart. Bores were well within spec, a simple honing and bearing and seal replacement set that engine back into flawless service after a fly cutting of the head and complete valve job. IMHO, the first thing major that will happen is the BHG. In this case, the crank was well within limits on main and rod journals as well, and this engine had been operated mostly on synthetic Mobil 1 10W30 or 15W50.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
im at 170k, ran about 30 gallons or 6 hours worth of hard track use, didnt loose any oil, only problem was the overflow for the coolent got loose and dumped itself, had to put distilled water in and it was a happy 4ag once again, also my exhaust sounded throttier (it was basically a brand new exhaust) after the 2 track days

about the head gaskets, would it hurt to replace it asap?

·
Registered
166 Posts
In addition to my recently aquired 86 Mk1 which has 170,000 on it but it doesn't really count because I don't have any history and it appears to be a replacement engine I also have a 87 Corolla FX-16 GTS (4AGE also, basically a FWD Mk1)that I bought from the original owner. It is a daily driver with currently 218,000 on it. The previous owner kept perfect records and replaced the head gasket at 190,000. While the head was off he had the rest of the engine checked out and was told it looked like a 50,000mi. engine. It also runs like one. Plus it is still on the ORIGINAL CLUTCH!!

So, as long as you keep clean oil in these engines I don't think they ever die. :)

Mark

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
MHib said:
So, as long as you keep clean oil in these engines I don't think they ever die. :)

Mark
i forgot to mention i campletly destroyed my clutch about a month after the track days, the 2nd track day of which it originally started to chatter,

but i bought the car with a slipping clutch, so i quess this is to be expected

·
Registered
881 Posts
Ottobon, I am personally really suspicious of the 4AGE at this mileage and thus I would pull it down for maintenance/ head overhaul. I prefer to build my 2's so I'd not think twice about hopping in any one and hitting the opposite coast. I'd also check that exhaust manifold for flatness. :smile:

·
Registered
232 Posts
yeah mine is at 215k and i think all it needs is a decent tune up and a valve adjustment. Still has oem stock oem clutch from the date it rolled off the dealership but is slipping a tad bit.

·
Premium Member
1,751 Posts
300k plus miles with one rebuild under it's belt on the street car.

race car only has about 40k miles but several engine rebuilds but slightly different operating conditions ;)

-Dave

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
my 88 lost a rod bearing at 80k. (not in my possession) but who knows what was happening at the time it broke. usually rod bearings go because someone lets the car get low on oil, and then flogs it around some corners and wonders while the motor went bad...

i've lost a rod bearing in a mk2 n/a at 170k, and that was while auto-x'ing it, with plenty of oil. (full-time auto-x car with lots of time in on that motor.) the only two issues i've ever seen (with 1 exception) on 4age's that failed were blown headgaskets and rod bearing failures. once a friend of mine put a piston through the bottom of the block driving down the hwy, but thats the only time i've ever seen that happen with a 4age.

most properly taken care of 4age's i see last well into the high-100k's to 200k+ range.

·
Registered
352 Posts
My car was practically perfect until it recently blew the head gasket at 120k. Not really sure why.. I keep the oil changed etc. regularly. It just decided now was the time I guess.

I also store it all winter without running it... now, with the rebuilt, I am going to start it up every 2 weeks (letting it get to full running temp) and see how that goes.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Yeah i don't burn any oil and i have 176 on mine and it runs just as strong as ever just keep the oil changed flush the coolant everynow and then. And do your regular Mait items and it will be just fine

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
how much does it cost to replace a head gasket before it blows? can i easily do that myself or does it require a professional???

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
no you can do it yourself just grab a BGB and go at it. It's pretty easy just one thing to make sure is that you have it at TDC

·
Registered
881 Posts
It's a good job for two people, one above and one below, the hardest part IMHO is breaking the crank pulley bolt loose and pulling the pulley. If you decide to do this, you 'll get a lot of help from everyone.

G

·
0 Posts
All it takes is a good stong impact gun :) Has mad my life simple especially with crank pulleys!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts