MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been a lurker on here for some time and have learned a lot. I bought a 1987 mr2 about a year ago that I use as a track car. I have new poly bushing and shocks installed. I have a roll bar, racing seats and harnesses. The engine is stock and I had plans to drive it this way until my driving skilled improved. That is until this weekend when I had a rod start knocking. Now I have to do something and I have a few options.
1. I could buy another car/engine and replace it stock. There are a few project MR2s available in my area for $500 to 1000. This would be the easiest, quickest and cheapest but I would have the stock engine and it would be questionable how long it would last.
2. I have a 4AGZE engine without the supercharger. I was told this engine had been built and turbo charged but the car had an electrical fire and they parted it out. It does not have cams but I have another head with cams. I had planned to turbo this engine in the future and put it in. I would like to get 150 to 180 HP.
3. I could do a 3SGTE swap but this may be above my budget and I am not sure about fining axles.
I need to keep the budget to $3000 max. What is the best way to go for a track car?

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have been a lurker on here for some time and have learned a lot. I bought a 1987 mr2 about a year ago that I use as a track car. I have new poly bushing and shocks installed. I have a roll bar, racing seats and harnesses. The engine is stock and I had plans to drive it this way until my driving skilled improved. That is until this weekend when I had a rod start knocking. Now I have to do something and I have a few options.
1. I could buy another car/engine and replace it stock. There are a few project MR2s available in my area for $500 to 1000. This would be the easiest, quickest and cheapest but I would have the stock engine and it would be questionable how long it would last.
2. I have a 4AGZE engine without the supercharger. I was told this engine had been built and turbo charged but the car had an electrical fire and they parted it out. It does not have cams but I have another head with cams. I had planned to turbo this engine in the future and put it in. I would like to get 150 to 180 HP.
3. I could do a 3SGTE swap but this may be above my budget and I am not sure about fining axles.
I need to keep the budget to $3000 max. What is the best way to go for a track car?
One thing to watch out for with engine swaps, time and money start to go by real fast. Easy to run out of both. And the longer a car is down for a mechanical issue, the greater the chance of it becoming an abandoned project.

Since it's getting into the off season, and your motor is already busted, I'd look for another 4AGE and at least rebuild the bottom end before installing. Plan it right and this leaves you room for future updates such as forced induction, head and cam swaps, etc. This way you get a good starting point, keeps in the budget, and gives you room to grow when more funding is available.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts

Dude,

4age Blacktop 20-valve with full-flow oil-cooler.

- Chester

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One thing to watch out for with engine swaps, time and money start to go by real fast. Easy to run out of both. And the longer a car is down for a mechanical issue, the greater the chance of it becoming an abandoned project.

Since it's getting into the off season, and your motor is already busted, I'd look for another 4AGE and at least rebuild the bottom end before installing. Plan it right and this leaves you room for future updates such as forced induction, head and cam swaps, etc. This way you get a good starting point, keeps in the budget, and gives you room to grow when more funding is available.
I have a good 4AGZE block already. I was told it had just been built but I can not confirm that. I am leaning toward turboing this engine with low boost to start. I think I will complete what every start on this car. I finished a 2 year build on a La Bala using the 4AGE drive train before buying the current MR2 track car. I decided I did not want to run the La Bala on track so I bought the MR2.

·
Premium Member
11,255 Posts
If that motor is built halfway decently 180 hp wouldn't even be breaking a sweat.
Really no benefit to swapping to 3SGTE.

Try to find as much as you can out about the motor.
When you say it doesn't have cams do you mean performance cams or any cams?
I would stay with stock cams starting out if it's a low comp motor. With your power goals you want to try to keep that effective compression as high as possible.
If you are lucky and it has something like 10.5:1 compression then a performance cam would do wonders and allow you to run real low boost.

·
i overtake on roundabouts
3,803 Posts
^^ indeed, if said 4agze was put together half decent it'll get you 180rwhp with the appropriate sized turbo easy peasy. heck a bone stock 4agze long motor will do that.

that combined with the c52 makes for an extremely fun track hack, gymkhana and street aw11.

my current daily/track hack is a home built 4agze smallport long block running a awesome gt2554r (smallest garrett ball bearing turbo) @ 18psi. i ran the car for years with same turbo set-up on the stock bigport 4agze on stock ecu, but now running a ems 4424 v4 aftermarket and does a decent 147.2 rwkw with 315nm. lsd c52 and coilovers. enough to pass many stock 3sgte sw20's and toe to toe with a few 'suped' up one as i found on the track when on holiday on the other side of the country a few months back. :)

·
MR2 Hoarder
5,087 Posts
enough to pass many stock 3sgte sw20's and toe to toe with a few 'suped' up one as i found on the track when on holiday on the other side of the country a few months back. :)
My gze powered sc with just a gb,pulley, and bolt ons was side by side in a straight line with my ct27 powered gen 2 turbo when that setup was in the 93. The sc would have easily beat the 93 through any type of semi tight road course. I keep trying to tell people how awesome the sc is but I can't compete with all the noise about how bad the gze sucks anymore. I like the sounds of your set up feral, smallest bb turbo sounds awesome,(still can't build boost as fast as a supercharger) but a lagging older style turbo making the same~ 180-200 hp does not interest me in my mk1. I have a 425 hp turbo car for that :)

I don't have any pics saved of the mad max mr2 but it was wild.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
option 1: pick up the spare project....

swap in running , yet unkown 4AGE.... this keeps the car on its wheels, and "running" at least for the short term.

Take removed engine rebuild it planning on track use as you go.

option2: Check 4AGZE, rebuild, or at the very least inspect all the parts. Plan on mods for track duty.

Piston dome volume MAY be an issue, too low static compression will make it fast... but a bit slow off the "boil".... if the static compression is decent, then a small BB turbo and a little head work ;) and you should be good to go.....

·
Premium Member
11,255 Posts
My gze powered sc with just a gb,pulley, and bolt ons was side by side in a straight line with my ct27 powered gen 2 turbo when that setup was in the 93. The sc would have easily beat the 93 through any type of semi tight road course.
You presume a lot here. For one thing you assume that lag will be an issue.
In a straight line acceleration I can hit full boost before the clutch is all the way out on a launch. From there on each shift the boost gauge bounces back to full boost as soon as the clutch is out.

Same on the track. Tried recording it once but the cam was too far away from the boost gauge. When I need to hammer the throttle the boost gauge responds instantly. When driving a track properly you are more feeding throttle in as you come out of the corners and the boost feeds in with it.

It also assumes that all drivers and situations are the same.
Many believe a GZE will be faster than a BT always.
The problem is that the BT is much harder to be fast. On a launch you would have to perfectly rev the living piss out of it when a GZE any shmo could dump the clutch at 3500 and still not look too bad. In the corners as long as you can keep the BT over 4500 RPM and as long as it's driven at least as well it will be faster than a stock GZE but it will take a lot more work and a lot better driving to do it.

·
Premium Member
11,255 Posts
On a track you may have a point , i dont take my car to the track however. Real world driving situations with a turbo car....there's always lag.
Yes cruising down main st at 25 mph in third gear my car is laggy as hell. Then again in that situation it doesn't matter.
It's like complaining that all seasons don't hook up as well as racing slicks in normal driving situations. It's irrelevant. You aren't racing on the street. There is time to wait half a second for boost or to drop a gear and have near instant spool. If you are always driving down the road in perpetual fear that a v8 is going to sneak up and try to take you from a roll in the wrong gear then you are doing it wrong.
Just chill out, let the turbo do it's thing and know that if you put it in the right gear it will be there when you need it.

Yes cruising down main st at 25 in third gear then stomping on the gas a GZE would beat my car in a turtle drag race. But then again a Prius or smart car in the proper gear would beat both so who cares.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We are a little off track with the supercharger discussion. That is not a option. While I do have a 4AGZE block I do not have the supercharger, intake, exhaust, ECM, etc. The block I have does not have any cams in the head. This engine was parted out. It did have some high performance cams but they sold along with turbo and manifold. I think the best suggest I have read is to go thought the AGZE engine and check everything then turbo it. After I take it apart I can determine what will be needed and see if fits with in my budget.

Thanks for all the input and I will be back with questions once I get started. It will be a couple of weeks before I can start due to work and home schedules.

·
i overtake on roundabouts
3,803 Posts
you wont be disappointed. i've owned and driven 4agze from stock to 17psi. i am still favouring my 4agte over those. combined with the c52 the 4agte is wicked fun on the street and track. my other aw11 has the heavy lump e51 and i know when i get it on the road again i'll feel the difference for sure. but i'll be putting out more ponies as well if it all goes to plan.

sorry to wander off topic
I like the sounds of your set up feral, smallest bb turbo sounds awesome,(still can't build boost as fast as a supercharger) but a lagging older style turbo making the same~ 180-200 hp does not interest me in my mk1.
you underestimate how quick the gt2554r can spool. that was the reason i chose that turbo. it came on much more aggressively when i was bigport though, the smallport head took the aggressiveness away but it still spools mighty fast.
it was such a shame as there was a sc14 powered aw11 to be at the track meet but he had issues and could not make it, we were both wanting too see how we went against each other. the few short rides i had in that car i knew it was quick.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I can confirm that the gt2554r spools really fast on my 22re. Traded for a t3/t4 and sorta regret it.

you wont be disappointed. i've owned and driven 4agze from stock to 17psi. i am still favouring my 4agte over those. combined with the c52 the 4agte is wicked fun on the street and track. my other aw11 has the heavy lump e51 and i know when i get it on the road again i'll feel the difference for sure. but i'll be putting out more ponies as well if it all goes to plan.

sorry to wander off topic

you underestimate how quick the gt2554r can spool. that was the reason i chose that turbo. it came on much more aggressively when i was bigport though, the smallport head took the aggressiveness away but it still spools mighty fast.
it was such a shame as there was a sc14 powered aw11 to be at the track meet but he had issues and could not make it, we were both wanting too see how we went against each other. the few short rides i had in that car i knew it was quick.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.