MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi..
I just imported my 1995 MR2 from Europe into Asia. The car does not have an AC. So I went to a shop to ask if they could fit in an AC. They immediately identified the 3S engine and said they saw it before in 1991 Camry. So finding a compressor should be easy. However they said the engine was spinning in the wrong direction, and would therefore need another compressor.

This seems very strange to me, but is this true? Or does the compressor in a camry face the other way?

Regards, Arjen

·
Premium Member
11,872 Posts
In the compact transverse configuration, the engine rotates in the same direction as the wheels. The AC compressor is always on the accessory end of the engine. The only difference possible is whether the engine is on the right or left side of the car. I believe that all Toyotas have the engine on the right side. Other makes may be different.

·
Premium Member
11,872 Posts
The other possibility is a pulley on the reverse side of the belt. Never heard of Toyota doing this with AC. Just covering the last base.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Thanks for all the comments...

This is what it looks like.. i see two holes here, could be the logical place for the compressor.
@rmeller was right, engine spins in same direction as wheels. The shop mentioned that in a camry the exhaust is facing backwards (here it faces forward), but i doubt the engine would spin other way round. so there must be a difference in the gearbox to compensate somehow.

So i dont se any reason why a camry compressor cannot work for the MR2...

·
Registered
214 Posts
Camry blocks have been used as replacements for mr2 blocks for years and the transmissions are interchangeable as well. You have to change the shift linkage. That shop doesn't know what they are talking about.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts