MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
benckj said:
Very simply your throttle cable will melt and then catch fire which spreads to the engine bay plastics and then car erupts into a molten mass of metal.

There isn't a good practical way to test the grounds. You would need to accuratly measure the resistance between points but this is beyond most VOM's that a home handyman would have. Easier to just remove, clean and then copper coat the threads.

jim
This almost happened to me today. My throttle cable was scorching red and started smoking. I'm also still confused about those sail panels, which ones are these exactly? Also there are 2 ground cables by the starter, one goes to the starter correct? By where does the other go? It's a short yellow one that splits from the black starter ground

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Sail panels are the 2 panels on either side of the engine lid. They have a ground-wire from each of them that connect to the strut towers.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Is this a ground for the wiring harness, or is there another end of it?

And on the large one between the trans & DS motormount - is that the same/similar on an NA?

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,893 Posts
Sail panels on sides of engine lid are not important for grounding. The one pictured above is a secondary ground wire from harness. The large one between trans and LHS motor mount is very, very important. They are the same between NA and turbo, auto and manual.

jim

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Thanks for the quick response - I appreciate it!

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
kbrew8991 said:
Is this a ground for the wiring harness, or is there another end of it?

And on the large one between the trans & DS motormount - is that the same/similar on an NA?

Thanks!

those are actually 2 wires looking like one.
On most Ecus its the 2 ground points (some 3sge have even 4 earth pins as far as i know).So this is the main Ecu ground attached to the intake manifold.On some engines they splittet them and used 2 different mounting points at the manifold.I guess the dont want to use a ground point near the ecu out of filtering reasons.

Check your Ecu pinout for more infos on your specific engine.(pin E1 & E2)

i dont have my inspection panels grounded since day one.they didnt explode yet..still have nice paint on them lol..but whatever..its about electro static grounding i assume.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
Agile said:
I can't find the intake manifold ground on the 5sfe. Can anyone give any guidance? Great thread btw!
does your car still run? the one under the manifold is for the ignition and ecu so with out it your car shouldn't run. if it is running then you might have to dig around more, sometimes people relocate it but the wires are not that long so they can't be to far away.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Found it! My ground wires may have been relocated at some point as they were not in the exact location pictured. Regardless, the images certainly helped as the wires were in the general area.

Here's a video that shows the location of the intake manifold ground, as well as the main big ground and small transmission ground on my 5sfe. Look for the wire covered with dielectric grease in the video for the intake mani ground.

http://youtu.be/iTxAdwTHzOI

·
Registered
659 Posts
Wow! Super helpful! I couldn't figure out where the small transmission wire went (transmission side). I just managed to bolt the trans onto the motor when I found that wire with a note on it (from previously mounted location) from about 9 months ago stating it came off one of the big 17mm bolt that mounts the trans to the engine. I really didn't want to dig in there again! With this thread I found the proper location AND a much easier experience to connect it. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Is this where the big transmission ground should go? Mine was on the chassis below it with the two smaller ones.
I couldn't find a bolt to fit that hole, so i pulled the other bolt and put it under there for now.

Car isn't running anyways, so I don't know if that is good or bad.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Would someone be able to repost the pictures now that photobucket got rid of that feature? I was going to do the grounds this year and found this and could see it being helpful. If this is long dead (I see it was started about 7 years ago now...LOL) then nevermind haha

41 - 60 of 77 Posts