MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Sail panels being the long skinny pieces on each side of the engine bay right ?
I think the BGB calls them a motor inspection plate or something.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Jeimuzu said:
Sail panels being the long skinny pieces on each side of the engine bay right ?
I think the BGB calls them a motor inspection plate or something.
Yes. I changed sail panel ----> motor inspection plate

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
AznRocBtm said:
what chemical, tool, and technique did you use to clean all the parts?
Nothing special. Little bit of Dawn, Purple Power (some diluted some not) brake cleaner, sponges, wire brushes, nylon brushes and some elbow-grease.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
HardtopMKII said:
Yes. I changed sail panel ----> motor inspection plate
If I had known you were gonna change it on what I said I would've made sure I was right :p
It's the "engine hood side panel" in the BGB, but I don't know if that would be better. Just put whatever you feel works :thumbup

·
Registered
7,893 Posts
I noticed a bit of dust by your engine lid hindge's. You might want to deal to that and re-post the pics. Disgusting.

jim

·
Registered
199 Posts
benckj said:
I noticed a bit of dust by your engine lid hindge's. You might want to deal to that and re-post the pics. Disgusting.

jim
In addition, on the small transmission ground picture, you have a build up of dirt on the right side of the picture and some fluid splatter on the left side. Revolting.

Thanks, this is really helpful.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
benckj said:

jim

In addition, on the small transmission ground picture, you have a build up of dirt on the right side of the picture and some fluid splatter on the left side. Revolting.
Tis a little coolant from the rad cap malfunction <---fixed and cleaned and undercoating on the right side :smile:

ROFL you guys are hilarious. Good laugh after a rough day!!!!!! :thumbup

·
Registered
7,893 Posts
how do you know if a ground is bad? or how can you test it?
Very simply your throttle cable will melt and then catch fire which spreads to the engine bay plastics and then car erupts into a molten mass of metal.

There isn't a good practical way to test the grounds. You would need to accuratly measure the resistance between points but this is beyond most VOM's that a home handyman would have. Easier to just remove, clean and then copper coat the threads.

jim

·
Registered
7,893 Posts
There are two grounds which run side by side to different bolts on the chassis. I think that this is for redundancy in case one becomes faulty. As they are not exposed to the enviroment they never seem to corrode or change much unlike the tranny<>chassis ground.

jim

·
Registered
7,893 Posts
Maybe they didn't install these on the earlier versions. I can't quite remember exactly but know one is right next to battery on LHS and the other dissappears under the frunk plastic to the firwall somewhere. It doesn't really matter as long as they are large enough to carry full current (100amps+) and have a decent connection point to metal chassis.

I'll troll around a bit and see if I can find a decent picture to go by. If you are asking this question then others may have the same concern.

jim

21 - 40 of 77 Posts