MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best cleaning product/concoction to use to clean up the engine and engine bay (without removing the engine, Bill)?

I want to clean things up so I can see whats going on and what may need repair/replacement.

Thanks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
RedHornet said:
What is the best cleaning product/concoction to use to clean up the engine and engine bay (without removing the engine, Bill)?

I want to clean things up so I can see whats going on and what may need repair/replacement.

Thanks.
It depends on how serious you are and how bad your engine compartment is.

Gunk engine brite - generally is worthless on anything substantial. It may break lose some general stuff but it stinks like hell for days and does little.PS also makes all aluminum and other materials could and look like hell also (Clouding and discoloration). As a general rule of thumb unless you don't care about appearance above clean and functional I would shy from this.

Simple Green- well everything works better when engine is warm, cold stuff is hard and does not like to come off, to hot makes everything evaporate (damn Murhpy and his stupid law). It works pretty good and does not damage much, including the environment(much). give it a try.

Best way? I would probably say get someone with a steam cleaner, maybe even a service. Get it up in the air, Cover yourself in something you don't care much about and go to town. Steam is hot, it's water (which your engine sees a lot of anyway, and works. It is also not a harsh chemical so that is nice too.

Remember kids, a clean engine is a happy and cooler one. If you cake a bunch of oil and old grease and crud on it it ...

gets hotter, than it should (oil and dirt cake blanket of sorts)
looks cruddy
smells
hides problems
can catch fire

So keep em' clean.

:smile:

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
yeah, and it also can get into alot of your electronics causing all kind of problems so just make sure you cover those places up real good and watch where the heck you are pointing your water hose!

·
Registered
302 Posts
well the gunk foam is pretty good as long as you let it sit for a while and also that chemical that you see that removes rust lime and other things it's good in places that can take it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts