MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Presently, I'm running a Gforce chipped ecu and it will not let my car pass exhaust emissions testing. I have to swap to a stock 93 ecu in order to do so. It's not a friendly unit to say the least but it was done 6 years ago when EMS techonology was still at its infency for affordable daily use.

My question is: Since my power levels will never see greater than 300hp, what is a good engine management system that will let me be able to run multiple fuel maps... lets say for: fuel economy, emissions testing, race gas, and street tune?

Will a piggyback, like an emanage, be sufficient enough to do these things? Or must I spend the money to buy an expensive stand alone? I'm not looking forward into breaking the bank that's why I ask.

I know Pat Signorino passed emissions testing with his Hydra Nemesis unit with no cats or anything. Simply amazing. Can a cheaper alternative EMS, such as an emange, adequately do the same?

Thanks.

EDIT:

Here's his thread
http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=136607&highlight=emissions

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I think it would be possible. However, I think since the E-manage is a piggyback it will be much more difficult to fine the ideal tune for passing emissions. What do I know though. :)

·
3,519 Posts
Basically with just a piggyback you are just altering what the stock ecu sees. You are better off going standalone if you really want the full tuneability. If you don't want to break the bank but want full stand alone capability you can talk to foundsoul on the boards and get a megasquirt. It is more of a DIY ems but I have heard alot of good things from users of it. Contrary to popular belief you can run the stock distributor and such without modification. Only thing is if you aren't electrically inclined (even slightly) then it won't be for you. One can usually get a complete MS-1 w/ wideband for about $475-$500 which is substantially less than any other full standalone out there.

But for me I went AEM. I guess more money than sense here. :)

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
I quick-passed with my Nemesis. My emissions levels were less than 1/3 the limit, so they just do a quick test and let me go. That's part of the joys of an EMS that can use a narrowband.

With piggybacks and large injectors, you wind up advancing the timing, which produces more NOx. You also are forced to deal with fairly sloppy engine control with a piggyback, which might also present issues.

What's wrong with putting the stock injectors and ECU back in? Turn down your boost and go pass.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts