MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

I hope I am making this post in the correct section. I have a 91' NA MR2 that I am absolutely in love with.
When I got it, the driver side window controls worked, but now they do not and I am 99% sure it is the crappy wiring that it has where moisture can easily wick onto the cables.
I am not the greatest electrician and am also very scared of taking off body panels as in my experience they almost never go back on right.

Do anyone have a good recommendation of where to go to get this fixed? I am in central Jersey and normally go to Firestone to fix my 2nd car (06' civic) but am weary about bringing my baby there.

I figured, in return I would give a great recommendation for an upholstery shop I used for the MR2 in the past with great results: Ace Auto Top & Seat Covers in Red Bank.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
It's most likely the wires in the rubber boot in the drivers door connection to the car body that have broken from opening and closing the doors. Very common problem with these cars.
Here is my fix for a wire issue that happened to be the adjustable mirrors but windows are a common issue too with these wires.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
As stated - check the wires that run into the door.
I had a speaker problem - that was the problem
Yeah, speakers, mirrors, windows, door locks and door lights can all fail here. Common problem, easy fix. Not 100% happy with my fix using that type of crimp connector but I'll probably never fix it using a more appropriate method.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Yeah, speakers, mirrors, windows, door locks and door lights can all fail here. Common problem, easy fix. Not 100% happy with my fix using that type of crimp connector but I'll probably never fix it using a more appropriate method.
I don't use crimping method. Soldering is the only way to go. Time consuming but lasts a long time.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I don't use crimping method. Soldering is the only way to go. Time consuming but lasts a long time.
Fair enough. Each to their own method. I now have open barrel crimps and proper tools to do repairs like this as I've been doing some GEN4 wiring conversions so needed something more appropriate for the job than nothing at all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks very much for the replies.
I am really looking for this to be done by a professional as I am not very comfortable with body panels and dont have nearly enough tools to complete the job.

Any suggestions where to bring it? Bodyshop, Firestone, Local shop?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts