MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My battery will last for a couple of days then die. I tested the alternator at 3 different autozones and it came back good each time. The battery is brand new. But heres the kicker....when I disconect the battery when the car is running the car dies! I checked the ground from the tranny to chassis, i made a ground for the valve cover, the one underneath the intake mani...

i dont think a ground is my problem because not only is the battery dying, but the car shuts off if i disconnect the battery. when i jumpstart my car the turbo timer will read 11 volts and go down within 5 minutes to 0 and then the car dies....PLEASE HELP!! :banghead:

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Disconnect/remove the last electrical component you added. If that doesn't do it, then systematically hunt the short circuit that has been created.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only thing Ive added is the turbo timer and i checked that already. Im gonna hook up a multi tester to the 3 thin wires that go into the alternator. What kind of reading should i get in voltage, etc?

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Was it doing this before the turbo timer? If you want to check the alternator circuit, look at the BGB. But again, your symptoms indicate a short circuit. Any short in a system circuit should blow a fuse. What is connected to the positive side of the battery without a fuse?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ii was doing the same thing before the timer...I put the timer thinking the problem had gone away becuase the car ran fine for 2 days. The only other wire running to the positive battery post is the stock terminal and the small wire that feeds that fuse box upfront...I think thats what it does...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anybody?! I just bought a second replacement alternator just to make sure i didnt get a bad one....My voltage meter in my turbo timer is reading 12.30 volts and it goes down a bit at a time..when i turn on my lights it drops to about 11.99 volts... I have a brand new battery, fuses. Ive tripled checked all my wiring.Any suggestions?

·
Registered
393 Posts
when your car is running voltage at battery should be above 13 volts. I would check the amp draw when the car is off. have the battery tested for a possible bad cell it would cause the battery not to hold a good charge> do you have an amp for your speaker or sub?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No factory speakers....How do I check for amp draw?
I got the battery tested today and charged today, it tested out fine.

·
Registered
393 Posts
If you have multi meter selet DC AMPS make sure your your positive test lead is in the amps hole. disconnect the positive cable form the battery put one test lead on the cable and one on the positive terminal of battery creating a complete circuit

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Amps hole? What reading should I get?
by the way, i just bought a new battery just incase, but it still the same issue...

·
Registered
393 Posts
on a mulitmeter meter there are three ports the test leads can be plugged into. the black test lead will always be in the same port (ground, negative,ect) the red test lead will be either in the spot on the multimeter where it says voltage and ohms or the other port where it says amps.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok...I took the alternator to a bench tester it put out almost 100 amps. A load test was performed and it gave 14.5 volts under load...got a new battery...now what?
Once I get to about 9.50 volts the car tries to die but if i give it gas it wont...
I let it go to where it almost turned off and turned on my lights, ac radio and the car struggles to stay on, I know the car could not do that on battery power alone! What am i missing here? Anybody? If anybody is in the Orlando Fl let me know, i need help. Im out of ideas!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Ive done that already, everytime I go they blame it on the alternator(ive replaced my altertnator and battery)...My wires are not corroded, ive replaced all my fuses and terminals and ive added grounds to the head and alternator casing...My car will run for like two hours before it starts dying, i press the gas and the car stays on but all my accesories are dead. Could this ECU related?

Check out my other thread..What do you guys think?
http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=161290

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i cant find my recipt. Why do you need the number for? Theres no way that the ecu is not letting the alternator provide power? I know it sound dumb, this problem is bizzare!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts