MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did have this posted in another forum The MR2 message board. I can only get in the server about 1 in 20 times that i attempt to get in. I do not post things often. I did receive a few responses on there which are very appreciated. I did replace the capacitors in Ecu with no change. 1991 5sfe out of a Camry or Corolla. I had a motor swap done probably 10 years ago. Car ran for a couple years good. Than I had a bearing go out on the crankshaft and had a buddy help me do a rebuild. Ran good for a while and I cant exactly pinpoint when the issue came up but i know this engine has run successfully in this car. So on to the issue at hand. It is not consistent at all but when you turn the car on one time you will have a high idle and runs good otherwise. Its usually about 20 key cycles before you get a "good" start. The next time you start the car it will run at about 600 rpm and as soon as you step on gas it misfires and backfires like crazy. So the parts that been replaced are distributor, ignitor, coil and many other sensors and such. I have a toyota dealership stumped at the moment. They had a toyota rep there once already and he could not figure it out. Car is no longer at dealership. Any help would be much appreciated. I love this car and cannot wait to drive again. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
11,799 Posts
So, if you let it idle, it never corrects itself?

I would try a different ECU. Even though it does not seem likely, the ECU does have unlimited modes of failure.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Sounds a lot like the ECU. Might even have been created when the caps were replaced. The fact that it will run fine some of the time, but other times not at all sounds electrical. Hard to diagnose over the internet though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies guys. I have the original ecu and another one I purchased used and both have the same result. I should have explained a little more also that now after getting back from the dealership i cannot even keep it to idle on its own. Before I took it there it would be that 1 in 20 start and thats what I drove over an hour to the dealership on. If I would have stalled I would have been in that cycle of the car idling but not running correctly. I mean I guess theres a possibility I have 2 faulty ECUs but I don't know. Another note that the CEL does come on now when car is running on the "Good" start. Does not seem to stay though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts