MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Radio lights go off and sometimes come back on only to go off again in a minute or two.
Power door looks, (both sides), will work when doors are partly opened. But not when door is fully opened.
When fully opening a door, the power locks will cycle, (solenoid sound), but no change to lock/unlock position.

Ghosts?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd check wiring harness that runs thru the doors. Pretty common failure point
Okay, but what about the lights on the radio? The radio works fine regardless of the light working or not. I've read that a worn ignition switch may cause problems. I'm hoping someone has had this same, 'ghost', and knows the exact point of exorcism. Perhaps a current relay that the radio-lights have in common with the power door locks? : )

·
Administrator
91t gen5
7,420 Posts
I'd guess the radio lights are from a bad connection going to the radio harness, or someone has tapped into the illumination wire for a gauge and made a bad connection.

I'll second the door harness problem. Mine would cycle the locks when I closed the door it ended up being the ground wire in the driver's harness that broke and pretty much corroded all the way through.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I'd guess the radio lights are from a bad connection going to the radio harness, or someone has tapped into the illumination wire for a gauge and made a bad connection.

I'll second the door harness problem. Mine would cycle the locks when I closed the door it ended up being the ground wire in the driver's harness that broke and pretty much corroded all the way through.
Speaking of door lock. When I leave the key in ON position, closed the door, I can hear the power door lock doing something but it’s won’t lock the door. Is this the issue with the ground in the harness?

·
Administrator
91t gen5
7,420 Posts
Speaking of door lock. When I leave the key in ON position, closed the door, I can hear the power door lock doing something but it’s won’t lock the door. Is this the issue with the ground in the harness?
Does everything else work? My windows would only move when the door was opened just right. If your power window is working correctly I wouldn't suspect the ground wire to be bad.

Try opening and closing the door while rolling the window up and down to see if it changes based on door position or rather harness position.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Does everything else work? My windows would only move when the door was opened just right. If your power window is working correctly I wouldn't suspect the ground wire to be bad.

Try opening and closing the door while rolling the window up and down to see if it changes based on door position or rather harness position.
Well, I had issue with the door lock. I did repair of the rusted wires inside the door loom and I found that my window wires were also broken. So all is repaired. I can live with the noise.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Where is the drivers harness. In the steering column....?

·
Administrator
91t gen5
7,420 Posts
Andrew nailed it on the second post, all the door opening and closing over the years bends them until they short.

Though I have noticed it's much worse w/ cars stored outdoors.
Mine happened to be corrosion that migrated to just about the whole ground wire. I had to cut most of the ground wire out to get to clean copper. It's just a wire break or open circuit, short circuit would mean you would blow fuses or melt wires.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Mine happened to be corrosion that migrated to just about the whole ground wire. I had to cut most of the ground wire out to get to clean copper. It's just a wire break or open circuit, short circuit would mean you would blow fuses or melt wires.
I found 2 broken wires to the door lock and one corrosion in power windows.

·
Super Moderator
3,629 Posts
Thank you..... It is 4 degrees outside and the Mr2 will spend the winter in the barn..... : ) I'll remove the door cover and inspect the wires that pass through to the door when the snow melts..... ; )
You will need to unplug it from the inside of the car, pull the harness through with the rubber boot and pull that boot back to inspect the wires. That is where the break is, not in the door itself.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts