MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
PRON is teh winnar!
9,684 Posts
should work as far as wheel sizes, doubt the 235/40 will fit up front though. 1mm past the fender up front. 7mm tuck in back (which you'll need for the 275's even after rolls).

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
should i do 17x8 in front with +40 with A face then? will 235 hit the coilover then? I saw brad beddell ran 235/40/17 on his yellow v6 mr2 that he sold so that is why i thought a 235 could fit

·
PRON is teh winnar!
9,684 Posts
no, the 40 will hit the coilovers most likely.
the 34 will look fine, 1mm is jack and you're going for max fitment anyway.

He moved the front suspension upper mounting points inboard. Unless you want to do some slight reengineering as well, I'd stick with a 225/35 17.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
do 17x10 fit on an mr2 i have never seen an mr2 with them, but i dont see why they wouldnt fit

i am going to go ahead and get 17x7 in front then in +34 offset and i will put the 225 on that

·
PRON is teh winnar!
9,684 Posts
rhouck was using 17x10 gtn's and alex (apexsw20trd) had 18x10, both stock bodies. they both stick out a little too though so it's not exactly the best setup for wide tires.

the 7 +34 will work, but the 225/35 17 is designed for 7.5 to 9" width.

Are you set on gtu's, not a ton of sizing options. :p

I'd want a 7.5 at least for the 225's up front (only offered in the falken fk451, btw) and a 9.5 for the 275's.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
i really want that work rim that is in your sig. the 4th one, i want it in gold. but i dont know where to buy it

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
so out of the GT-U in 17 what sizes do you recommend for max tire size. and will still be able to fit coilovers later down the road when i get them

·
PRON is teh winnar!
9,684 Posts
I think the setup from your initial post is the best for max tires even with the front wheels peeking out 1mm. that will certainly make the best of the 225/35 up front.
the 9 +42 will support the 275 and you shouldn't have any rubbing probs after rolls.

I like the idea of the 10 +42 in back, but not sure that you won't have rubbing problems (on the fender) even after rolls with a 275 (since it actually will be past the fender by 4 or 5mm. rhouck will know if that's clears coilovers in back in case you want to try it, I don't recall.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
+42 won't clear coilovers (at least not Tein HAs)

Alex ran a +37 10" with no spacer; my +41 needed a slight spacer. I would guess +38-39 is minimum for clearance without a spacer.

I was planning on running a 275 tho I had not done it yet (and if my f'in wheels don't reappear I never will... :( ).

As a point of reference, Randy is running 285/30/18 Hoosiers on 18x10.5" wheels, +43 offset with 5mm spacers. The car is "technically" stock-bodied... tho in only the LOOSEST version of the word haha. He hammered out the inside of his rear fenders a touch so you can't tell from really looking at it at all (looks very clean actually) but gave him the extra space he needed.

Based on that, that would be the equivalent of a 10.5" +38 with no spacer (correct me if my math goes awry...) and still tucks with a 285. Therefore a wheel that is .5" less wide should be able to tuck without any hammering needed... tho you will need quite the roll.

And what on earth happened to the few 275/35/17s?! I know they existed... I'm not losing my mind lol...

A 9.5" wheel will certainly make things a touch easier tho... 10" WILL fit but might require a bit more TLC :)

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
sweet whats the range i can use like +44 to +38 or what. Thank you i am just looking at my options. I think i might go with GT-P now. Damn someone needs to help me choose a rim lol

·
PRON is teh winnar!
9,684 Posts
LOL!
Well, the 275 is where it starts getting grey. I don't recall anyone using that with coilovers. 9 +50 *should* clear factory suspension with 275. coilovers kill approx 4mm space up front vs stock and I think it's closer to 2 or 3mm for the back, but I'm not certain. I'm talking specifically about tein ha here which seem to be the biggest that anyone is regularly using. The hks may actually be a little bigger, but I haven't seen enough info.
which coilovers are you planning to use?
You might ask GreddySetGO to measure clearance from his 9 +43 to his coilovers (tein ss or flex ...... don't recall which) if you want to be able to get down to paper thin clearance. also be mindful of the width of the various tires you're considering.

I'm confident that whichever street 275's you choose will clear with the 9 +42, but unsure past that .... even the 44 scares me a little. I'm not a fan of not knowing exactly where the line is. :p

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
FYI :you can actually CLICK on his signature

but regardless thats a work equip (if youre talking of the fifth from left to right)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts