MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone

When I fitted my ATS kit, I couldnt fit my EGT probe into the manifold because i cant get it off the engine due to a stud problem which i wont go into. So the kit was delivered and i fitted it without the EGT in place. Then later i thought i could of just put the probe into the adaptor plate, so I have removed it all tonight as i had an exhaust leak to find, i plane to have it tapped into the side, anyone thinks this is a bad idea for any reason let me know!

Graeme

·
Automotive cartographer
4,402 Posts
It will put the sensor tip farther from the exhaust port than is usually recommended. Also, you will get a combination of the four cylinders rather that reading at the #3 which is usually the hottest.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thansk for the reply Ricky, still waiting for an email from you ;) hehe I know your probably busy and theres no rush!

I thought it wouldnt give a perfect reading, but im assuming it wont be far off?

Graeme

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Why not mount it in the manifold while the turbo is off? You'll have to be careful to ensure metal shavings do not get past an open exhaust valve, but other than that it should be do-able.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have considered this, but as i dont have a proper fitting for the probe and dont seem to be able to get hold of one at all im letting a machine shop fit it for me, dont know how they are going to do it, they said if i wanted it in the manifold id have to take it off, which i wont do because i know one of the studs will not go back in.

I cant see there being that much of a difference in temperature from the exhaust runners to the adaptor plate?

Graeme

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
The temperature immediately starts to drop when the exhaust leaves the cylinder.. I was monitoring external header temps on a t-67 manifold on the dyno the other day. It was suprising how quickly the exhaust cooled. Now that is a tube manifold so the cast MR2 manifold will hold the heat in a little more effectively once it is up to temp. But just the mass of the ex. manifold will immediately begin wicking heat away from the exhaust.

Like Ricky said, if you put it in the adapter you'll be monitoring all the cylinders. If you put it in the manifold you can monitor #3. But truth be told an EGT gauge is really only useful for spotting "trends". And that is if you watch it all the time and can anticipate what your EGT's should be in a particular situation. I would not rely on one exclusively for tuning. I do glance @ mine at the end of a run on the dyno.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reply again Scott. The reason I am actually fitting it is because i bought a pair of warning meters and id rather fit them than sell them on. Its notreally for tuning just to make sure nothing gets dangerous, im waiting to order a nemesis and wideband from ricky so the egt is just a precaution!

Thanks

Graeme

1 - 7 of 7 Posts