MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some time ago my 88sc suddenly began to run horribly rich causing it to return poor gas mileage. I have an Air/Fuel meter and noticed that at idle and at cruise the ratio no longer oscillated between lean and rich as it should and has for years. I first inspected the spark plugs and replaced them as they needed to be replaced anyway. The car ran marginally better after that. I then removed and checked the TPS and everything came out well within spec (the TPS was one of the codes the computer throws when checked). I then decided that possibly the O2 sensor was causing the problem as on occassion at certain throttle positions the fuel ratio would return to oscillation. Upon replacing the O2 sensor with a brand new unit I have found no change in the symptoms.

Does anyone have any idea as to where I should look next?

Thanks,
Paul

·
Registered
9,809 Posts
Bleed your coolant. V8Eater just had this problem on his 88SC and that fixed it. Maybe something to do with the coolant temp sensor getting a bad reading and fooling with the air/fuel mixture ratios that are being sent to the ECU.

I also have this problem but I haven't tried anything to fix it yet.

Todd
87sc

·
Registered
693 Posts
Check your Fuel Pressure, when the FPR (Fuel Pressure Regulator) failed on my 88 SC, my car ran incredibly rich and my fuel mileage dropped between 6 and 10 mpg.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
NickBrewer said:
Check your Fuel Pressure, when the FPR (Fuel Pressure Regulator) failed on my 88 SC, my car ran incredibly rich and my fuel mileage dropped between 6 and 10 mpg.
How do you check the fuel pressure? I know you check it at the cold start injector port on the fuel rail, but where do you get the right mm gauge for it? All I can find is a US gauge with a Schrader valve fitting. It would be cool if someone could make an adaptor for the Toyota?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies. I had searched and found the post by V8Eater.

Time to bleed the coolant and move on from there.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
86AW11 said:
www.spxotc.com Mack, try this place. Tell them you need toyota special tool # 09268-45012
Thanks Paul. I already bought a fuel gauge so I'm going to try to fab a fitting to adapt it to our metric fuel rail. If that doesn't work I'll buy the SST.
Mack
Edit: Holy Carumba! $385 for the SST. I can buy a fitting for $3.85, I just have to figure out how to make new 8mm x 1.25 (?) threads for the other end to fit in the fuel rail.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts