MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1995 MR2 Mk2 vs 2000 MR2 Spyder Mk3 (US versions)

I am eyeing the MR2 and a few questions popped up.

What are the main differences in them?
Which engine goes in which one?
Which one is more mod-friendly?
Which one would you pick and why?
Comparatively, does it have a lot of problems? (If there are common, what miliage?)

·
Registered
7,077 Posts
mk2 or 95 because it is rare and faster, easer to tune, the 5sfe/3sgte/3sge/beams engine comes in the 95.........

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
this might sound stupid, but how do i find what engine the mr2 has?
like, is there a specific model (like mustangs come in lx / GT / SVT / etc) or..?

·
Sponsored by Your Dad!
3,390 Posts
Personally, I dont know much about the mods for the spyder but in my opinion the two wont be much different in a couple of year.

The spyder hasnt been around for long enough for aftermarket companies to make huge interest in aftermarket parts...and, if they are interested now they wont be for long.

The fans of the second gen seem very enthusiastic but most of them how expensive and somewhat hard to find aftermarket parts are for it.

For a spyder you get a "new" car with fewer probs and perhaps a warranty which is something good for someone your age.

For a 91+ you get more power (with a turbo model) but more expenses!

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Is the "3sgte" engine the best one?

And what are the stock power specifications of the '95 turbo version?

·
Registered
7,077 Posts
3sgte= turbo us and jap version engine
3sge was 91-97 n/a engine and the beams redtop 3sge was 98 and 99 jap engines
the 5sfe and rare 3sfe {3sfe is week} came in us versions...
the 3sgte is the most powerfull engine with a turbo, the beams has around 200 hp as well but is n/a very rare and $$$$
so the best would be the 3sgte for proformance...

·
MK. II RACING
4,335 Posts
Well you said USA versions. So, that is what I will give you. Mark2 (91-95: 91-92 more of them, 93 gets better suspension, tranny, and LSD, 94-95 gets [IMHO] better looking tail lights and colored to match car body trim). The mark2 MR2's came with only 2 engines. N/A= 5sfe rated at 135 FWHP and 3sgte=turbo with 200fwhp and 200fwtq. The Spyder gets the 1zzfe engine only. Rated at 135fwhp (but is more like 135RWHP with intake and exhaust). But both marks take well to mods. BUT, there are NOT alot of companies that make mods for them. As for which is best...

Depends what you want to do... autocross the N/A mark2's rule their class and the Spyder rules its class. The Spyder will "handle" (corner) faster than any mark2. Especially if the Spyder has a Spotivo/TRD suspension kit. Both marks are fairly rare. The 94 being real rare and hard to find and the 95 is extremely rare and very hard to find and you will pay big $$$$ for a 95 turbo. The 91-95 turbo's make good drag racers and many are using them to win some races and the mark2 will also do well in autocross, hillclimbs, and track days. The Spyder needs just intake, exhaust and nos or turbo kit to get into the low 13's in the 1/4 mile. Hope the helps!

Daniel

·
Premium Member
13,141 Posts
mr2boost said:
93 gets better suspension
debatably

personally, my opinion, is that too many idiots were crashing them because they didnt know how to drive them so toyota detuned the suspension slightly to make it "easier" to drive, though at the expense of handling.

tred said:
3sgte= turbo us and jap version engine
3sge was 91-97 n/a engine and the beams redtop 3sge was 98 and 99 jap engines
the 5sfe and rare 3sfe {3sfe is week} came in us versions...
the 3sgte is the most powerfull engine with a turbo, the beams has around 200 hp as well but is n/a very rare and $$$$
so the best would be the 3sgte for proformance...
the 3sfe and 3sge were never sold in the united states. We got 5sfe and 3sgte ONLY. Anything else is a swap or an import.

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
5SFE = MKII MR2 NA (USA)
3SGE = MKII MR2 NA (Europe / Japan)
3SGTE = MKII MR2 Turbo (USA / Europe / Japan)
1ZZFE = MKIII MR2 & 7th Gen Celica GT

...a typical swap for a MKIII is to swap in a 2ZZGE which is what comes in a 7th Gen Celica GT-S and Lotus...

·
MK. II RACING
4,335 Posts
To WyrmMaster: I fully agree about the suspension. After driving both a 93 and a 91, I went with the 91T. I liked its more "neutral" suspension. But, I do like the 1" lower 93T springs (thus me saying better I guess was meant for a NOVICE driver). New suspension set up for me will be TwosRus (HighNTight) Prothane suspension bushing kit, 93T springs (hey they were free) and KYB AGX struts (would like to get Koni's but just too expensive for me now). :thumbup

Daniel

·
Premium Member
22,915 Posts
tred said:
mk2 or 95 because it is rare and faster, easer to tune, the 5sfe/3sgte/3sge/beams engine comes in the 95.........
Beams wasn't offered until '97 I believe but definately know it wasn't offered in '95.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts