MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I dont think anything other than 5.25" speakers will fit without modification. However, you could probably cut out a hole on the top of the storage box, make sure its sturdy (make a brace somehow) and mount it face up with a grill on top.

But the reviews of it arent too great.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1895

I think they are discontinued, but you could get two JL 6w0's. They definitly wont give you monster bass, but will probably be better than the eD's.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm thinking about a good set of front component speakers and having the head unit power them up. What do you think? It'll save me some costs on the amp and installs.

·
Registered
267 Posts
You'll save money, but aftermarket headunits only puts out around 17-25w rms despite all the 50w and 60w claims on the box. Many stock HUs are even lower(I'm generalizing, I haven't tested any toyota HUs yet) They'll sound alright, but a separate amp almost always yields better sound that is worth the money in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
13,217 Posts
KyleScha said:
here are some 5.25inch subs:

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?webpage_id=3&SO=2&&DID=7&CATID=49&ObjectGroup_ID=490

Some 7 dollar subs on that page if you want them :-D

Make sure you make wooden spacers for any woofers you put down in that sub box. They will make it sound 10x better.
Nice site. Question: Does anyone know the wattage ratings of the stock amp? Wondering which of those speakers would be the best match for it as a drop in replacement.

EDIT: nice, I see they also have a good selection of 4" woofers. Thats what I would like to put in the rear panels, something that is better than stock, without going to the coaxials (which seems to be the majority of whats available from "car audio" shops). Dont want any highs coming from behind me.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I believe they are 30w at 3ohms. So at 4 ohms it would be about 22w.

Kosan: Do you have aim? I'll help you out choosing a system. But no, dont run a good set of components without an amp. It will be pointless. But if you are interested, I'm selling my front components (boston SL60's) and they are pretty good. You live near rockville or something dont you? If you would be interested in them we could meet and you could listen. I also want to see how your TRD springs are, so we could both benefit.

And head units usually put out between 10-12w. Not even 17-25.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts