MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know of an aftermarket tunable ecu for a naturally aspirated mkII(1993). If you know where i could get one please let me know or give me a link

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Do you want a direct plugin or just something that can control the engine.

For a plugin unit you might be able to use the 3SGTE one that some manufacturers make but repin some stuff to match the 5SFE.

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
Maybe a piggyback like a SAFC or Greddy Emanage or something?
Ive been out of the car game for a long time (sold my first mr2 a decade ago, just got this one back in September or October, I forget), but I remember back then people were buying Apex SAFC etc to make small changes to fuel curve etc
Cheap units, like 250-400 bucks.
I owned, at one point, an Emanage by GReddy, never installed it. It had many different add-ons you could buy for various other things and a lot more program ability than the SAFC. But I didnt install it. Had gotten a great deal here on MR2OC and then ended up selling to a local guy for a sweet profit

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
was looking for something easier, probably an aftermarket one made specifically for my an na mr2

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
Bud, thing is, not a lot of parts were made for the 5S, it's just not where the tuning world went with these cars.

It's been said before - save up some and sell your MR2 and buy a turbo, or save and do a swap.
With what youve said before about your goals, it's just not going to happen with that engine. For less money you can have over 240whp. You would dump SO much money into the 5s and, likely, never get close.

If you really like NA power, look towards a BEAMS swap or V6.

But, again, based on what youve posted before, your current motor wont be the way to go

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I understand that theres not a lot of parts available for the car, thags why im asking if anyone knows about any that WERE made. As ive said before it is not possible for me to to do an engine swap or to buy a new car as I dont have the resources or money. The car i currently have was in terrible condition when I bought it and wouldn't sell for very much so if I wanted to sell it and buy a turbo I would have to pull at least 4k out of my ass. I know its a small platform but i also know that there are people who have done it, thats why i keep posting cause I'm hoping to find some of those people. Ive seen 5sfe's that have been built up for more power but I never got a chance to meet the owner and ask him what he did so I'm hoping I'll meet someone else with a built 5sfe that can help me.

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
By built what do you mean? For comparison the best NA 3sge BEAMS engine only made 200hp and that's with a VVTi "G" head and 11:1 CR, the "F" head and CR of 9.5:1 on the 5SFE isn't meant for power and never will be. You'd be dumping more money into building a 5sfe engine than a gen4 swap and would make less power on top.

What do you expect to be able to do with a tunable ECU? Aftermarket ECUs aren't cheap you're looking at $1000 and then you need to pay to have it tuned you don't just plug it in and make 40 extra hp.

It's not that there weren't parts made for the 5SFE, it's hugely mass produced Camry engine, it just doesn't make sense to try and get power from them. These aren't Honda engines with VTEC and awesome high flow heads from the factory.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
@J.harris makes all good points. The thing with modifying cars is, you never usually have all the money you need for it right then an there. I'm on that same boat. The amount of money you'll spend trying to make power with the 5S vs using a stock turbo motor in one or another will make you bitterly disappointed.

I've been saving and learning about turbo swaps for over 6 years to do it on my own car but just don't quite have the funds to do it right now. Trying to add 150whp to my GEN2 3SGE would almost be impossible so I can just bolt in a standard GEN4 3SGTE and have that straight away. I've done handling and stopping mods bit by bit in the mean time. Now that I have car that can suitably handle the extra power safely the next step is turbo Power.

An ECU that is built for plugging directly into a 5S MR2 may not exist but ones for similar platforms do like the 3SGTE. But as @J.harris mentioned buying an ECU and getting it turned for your specific application could cost you anywhere up to $3000. And for minimal gains. Even if you added a proper exhaust system, intake, cams (of which might be hard and/or expensive to find) then maybe 60hp max until you start dropping $10-20k on pistons, head modifications, intake modifications. You are still only going to add 30hp. So spend well less and go turbo. Turbo allows expansion on power way easier too.

Just my thoughts about your ideas. If you are still keen then that's awesome and having a unique 5SFE powered MR2 that's quite fast would be cool. Just more expensive and probably less reliable once you try to match a standard motor that bolts in and has heaps of support for mods and knowledge base.

I do admire people who take on a challenge like this and achieve the goals they set out. (y)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ive said it multiple times, I do not and will never have the resources to do an engine swap, I'm working by myself out of a parking spot in an apartment complex and the only tools I have are a ratchet set and jacks. If it was an option for me I would LOVE to swap a turbo engine into my car but thats just never gonna happen. I've already done all the handling and stopping mods I can think of, so I guess I guess I'll just leave how it is.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also I live in california where due to emotions laws its exremely difficult to do an engine swap and still be able to legally drive the car. Even if the new engine were to make within the legal amount of emissions it would have high chances of failling the visual examination, if there's anything that makes them think the engine didn't come in that specific car then it has to go through this long and annoying process of getting it specially certified so that you can register it again

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
What suspension and braking mods have you done?

As far as swaps go - it's an engine that originally came in teh MR2 here in the states, I doubt they'd know.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Fair enough. This is just our advice to get the most power for the cheapest. California sounds like the worst place to want to modify a car. Seems like it will be quite a battle.

You don't need to buy a plugin ECU either. You can buy many wire in ECUs and do a lot of research into how you would install it yourself to make it cost effective. But you still need a lot of spare cash to buy it, buy tools and consumables to install it then get it tuned. I'm currently doing a lot of wiring work myself but only a year ago I had barely done anything or knew much about it. I've created a GEN3 3SGE to GEN4 3SGTE swap harness for a mate that runs and in the process of making another one for a GEN2 3SGE that was swapped to an early GEN2 3SGTE a few years back which is now a GEN4 3SGTE. I'd love to be able to make one for my own car but like you funds are just not there.

You can buy 5SFE headers but I'm not sure if they would do much for anything. And again those mods would stand out as would an exhaust that frees up the flow. Can you install approved aftermarket Cats or do you need to use the OEM unit(s) otherwise you can't pass?

Even though you might not have access to things to do an engine swap, to be honest, apart from an engine hoist of which you can borrow, the tools you own will probably do the trick. You don't really need special tools outside of a socket set and spanners. 30 and 32mm sockets are one other tools you may not have for axle nuts and a pulley puller for the crank pulley swap.

The cool thing about the MR2 community is they are willing to help. At least that's what I have experienced but I am in a different country. I've borrowed many tools, had help from others to do things and also helped many with their cars over the years. Reach out and ask for help if needed for tools and help to do things on the car. Even a temporary space to work on it that's not a car park.

There seem to be plenty of GEN4 swaps in California so I don't see why that emissions rule would hold you back. You can still keep a cat installed, have the fuel evap system in place and have the PCV system plumbed into the intake.

Save up, buy the cheaper option and get a fun car out of it. It might take a while but you'll get there. I've owned my SW20 for 12 years, wanted to turbo swap it for 6 years and slowly gathering parts to do it. I've got bits and pieces but missing the engine and supporting bolt on parts to make it practical.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Interested in an ECU for your '93 5S? OK, it's possible, but here's the work I needed to do:

Determine what standalone to use (tons of brands out there that can be adapted for a plug-and-play style of install)
Do a ton of research to understand the ignition system (as others have alluded to, there's no info for the 5S)
Read the BGB electrical section front-to-back (the best assumption is to assume that everyone on the internet is wrong, so best to get it directly from the source)
Find the damn connector (somehow, I managed to do that in ten minutes or so, but I've done a ton of electrical projects and making BOMs)
Spin a PCB for the connector (See DIYAutoTune's Break Out Board (DIYBOB) for an example)
Spend hours soldering up the BOB to the Megasquirt
Pray that the BGB didn't lie to you, or that there isn't something wrong on the in the Megasquirt
???
Profit? Still gotta make a starting tune, get it dyno tuned, etc...

And I'm prepared to be utterly disappointed by the numbers -- I'm guessing 140 whp and 150 wtq on 93, if I'm lucky.

I honestly don't think it's going to be really, truly worth it, but I'm doing this for fun (and limits prep to the class rules).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts