MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
If it's got to be plug and play, a Link G4X Plug and Play isn't a bad option. I'd STRONGLY recommend it over a Megasquirt PNP, which in my direct experience was very unreliable from a hardware perspective. The Link is a little more money, but it seems worth it based on what I've seen.

I would definitely recommend a fuel pressure sensor and wideband O2 sensor as mandatory inputs to the Link. These make the car MUCH safer than the original old 90's ECU that was essentially flying blind on these critical parameters. You can also wire in an adjustable boost control switch.

·
Registered
1992 Toyota MR2 Turbo
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
If it's got to be plug and play, a Link G4X Plug and Play isn't a bad option. I'd STRONGLY recommend it over a Megasquirt PNP, which in my direct experience was very unreliable from a hardware perspective. The Link is a little more money, but it seems worth it based on what I've seen.

I would definitely recommend a fuel pressure sensor and wideband O2 sensor as mandatory inputs to the Link. These make the car MUCH safer than the original old 90's ECU that was essentially flying blind on these critical parameters. You can also wire in an adjustable boost control switch.
Yes, I think I will go with the Link G4X! The adjustable boost control switch, where do I get one of those? Can you show me an example? You don't mean the MBC I already had?

So I thought I would mention, since I removed the MBC, but still have the HKS FCD, in 2nd gear i get 15psi, is that normal or to be expected from a turbo upgrade and downpipe?
In 3rd gear it hits around 15psi, i can't tell exactly but the fuel cuts out... I am reluctant to switch the FCD to the setting where there is no fuel cutoff at all... would rather wait til i get the ecu and tune in with proper AFR

·
Super Moderator
3,623 Posts
You can wire in a switch to a DI (Digital Input) on the ECU with the expansion loom(s) for the boost control for different levels. You can also get a CAN Lambda oxygen sensor setup and wire that to the CAN pins of the ECU with another expansion loom. The Plug in ECUs are based on the Xtreme platform so are actually quite powerful vs a similar priced wire in LINK.

Boost levels sound about right with the hardware you have. You should be able up the boost/fuel cut level above 15psi. Stock it's 14 so the FCD should easily be able to bump that to 18psi and still keep the cut in place.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Can the Link plug and play handle a trim pot for boost input?

I use this to adjust all sorts of things in my AEM Infinity. It’s not ECU specific, you feed it 5V, sensor ground, and it outputs an analog voltage 0-5V in 12 discrete steps.

Other option in the ECU world as mentioned is a simple switch to chassis ground (switch on = ground) tied to a digital input that has a pull-up to 12V. That gives you a low and high boost setting, controlled by the ECU. I wouldn’t use a MBC with an aftermarket ECU personally.

·
Super Moderator
3,623 Posts
Can the Link plug and play handle a trim pot for boost input?

I use this to adjust all sorts of things in my AEM Infinity. It’s not ECU specific, you feed it 5V, sensor ground, and it outputs an analog voltage 0-5V in 12 discrete steps.

Other option in the ECU world as mentioned is a simple switch to chassis ground (switch on = ground) tied to a digital input that has a pull-up to 12V. That gives you a low and high boost setting, controlled by the ECU. I wouldn’t use a MBC with an aftermarket ECU personally.
That is also possible. You just need to program the ECU to know what voltage from the pot is set to what boost setting.
This sort of thing.
Then set it up like this. Calibration tables help you set what voltage the switch outputs vs what boost level you want.

·
Registered
1992 Toyota MR2 Turbo
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
You can wire in a switch to a DI (Digital Input) on the ECU with the expansion loom(s) for the boost control for different levels. You can also get a CAN Lambda oxygen sensor setup and wire that to the CAN pins of the ECU with another expansion loom. The Plug in ECUs are based on the Xtreme platform so are actually quite powerful vs a similar priced wire in LINK.

Boost levels sound about right with the hardware you have. You should be able up the boost/fuel cut level above 15psi. Stock it's 14 so the FCD should easily be able to bump that to 18psi and still keep the cut in place.
I am going to fiddle with the FCD settings on the weekend and see if there is one which allows me to hit max boost in 3rd and 4th without cutting out the fuel..
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
3,623 Posts
I am going to fiddle with the FCD settings on the weekend and see if there is one which allows me to hit max boost in 3rd and 4th without cutting out the fuel..
Thanks!
Just make sure it cuts at a level you don't want to exceed. If your target is say, 16 then 18psi is a good place to be. But don't over do it as the GEN2 head gaskets can let go.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts