MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

161 - 180 of 200 Posts

·
Registered
20,021 Posts
Other than messy trigger signals (which I was getting on a ROM tune and an MSPNP as well), it worked just fine. The latest firmware's noise filtering was good enough to bandaid that problem as well, until I replace the dizzy wiring (or whatever is actually causing that problem).
Prety sure it isn't the wiring... buy a new distributor. Had to do that on the 2 here before emu could see the cam triggers.

·
Registered
20,021 Posts
I am glad that you have clued into the fact that Josh at Chico Race Works is attempted to bend the truth to attempt to skew customers away from the ECUMaster product.

Test software is just that..a test. duh.

My 800whp MR2 is still running/driving on the software that was available last summer.

Aaron
Then tell me the ecu master is a better, more solid, more stable system than the vipec/link units.

·
Registered
20,021 Posts
And if test software is just that then why do my customers have all this test firmware on their emu when what you have works perfectly?

I don't mean to be bitchy but my time isn't free and with this system you at ats assume it is. I have spent thoussnds of $, wasted weeks of time on these for?

I did see the potential the emu had which is why I purchased 2 from you. Granted the customer car i originally scoped out already had unit installed and was running on the base map and all indications were that the unit was pretty darn good value for $. While the emu did eventually have a glitch with the datalog scaling it didn't affect anything.

Next 2 I suggest and purchased for customers have been a bloody nightmare. They would both gladly pay full tilt price for a vipec/link unit to avoid all of this emu mess..... yet I have still pushed on with emu since so much time snd $ has been "invested" already. Just can't wait for the day the new oem dizzy doesn't produce signals the emu likes....

Pretty sure you can feel my pain hence why ats is busier than ever on the phone all day troubleshooting these emu systems

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
ATS scott has his Gen4 on ecumaster I believe he would know best.

Anyone have this on a gen4? What are your impressions? Im not a tuner and dont have access to dyno and with my travel schedule makes it difficult even get my car in somewhere, so auto tune is something this was up my alley.

I came from dsm world and had the privilege of dsmlink. The support there was out of this world! Which if there was a way to install dsmlink on my gen4 I'd do it in a heartbeat. Dsmlinks autotune was the support from the devs and the community, you'd post up a log and people would tell/help you to tune your car, this is what made dsmlink with every penny, and what I believe so many dsms still some of the fastest cars out there, the community keeps helping each other to move and progress forward.

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
Vipec/Link is a fine ECU (so are Motec, Haltech and others). We sell the Vipec, support them and tune them. They cost quite a bit more and do not have some of the same features (built in wideband for example).

So far we have a "professional shop" arguing that the ECUMaster is impossible for him to install and tune, but we have several car owners, normal civilians if you will that have managed to do so by following the included instructions and taking advantage of the support provided by Scott McClendon at ATS Racing.

Aaron

·
Registered
20,021 Posts
Vipec/Link is a fine ECU (so are Motec, Haltech and others). We sell the Vipec, support them and tune them. They cost quite a bit more and do not have some of the same features (built in wideband for example).

So far we have a "professional shop" arguing that the ECUMaster is impossible for him to install and tune, but we have several car owners, normal civilians if you will that have managed to do so by following the included instructions and taking advantage of the support provided by Scott McClendon at ATS Racing.

Aaron
Ok.. skirt the issue

You can buy emu for 500 and sell for 1000 (msrp 1200)

You could also buy vipec for a tad more and make less yet still sell it for roughly what a emu costs retail (vipec plug in msrp 1859).

What's more important..... lining your pockets or selling quality products? From my given example that is pretty clear cut.

Why couldn't you have just sold me good units I couldn't bitch about?

And individuals buying the emu have no clue what a good ems system is supposed to behave like... I kinda do and have never had one issue with any of the vipec units I have sold, installed or had tuned.... I may have been a issue but surely not the vipec ems system.

The "built in wideband" statement is laughable when you get a fricking $10 cord and a $50 sensor rofl. For what you charge the end user can get a gauge with the whole enchilada for $150 to 200.... kind of a moot point there my friend..... unless you compare to the link g4+ fury which has dual wideband drivers and can sell for roughly emu msrp........ just sayin

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
ATS scott has his Gen4 on ecumaster I believe he would know best.
If you want one for a Gen4, then consider also getting ID1000 injectors because that is the best base map we have for a gen4. I'm not trying to up sell you, but so far most of our customers have gone this path (because the correct ID1000's are a drop-in fit for the Gen4 rail) so we've have a more developed base map available.

Aaron

·
Registered
20,021 Posts
Ps: I ain't the only one bitching. One someone was asked to shut the ____ up.... also told by Aaron some things.....

Customers are not saying ____ because they may lose support. ....

To me this is not anything personal it's just commenting on what i feel isn't good to sell or use on any gen2 or 3 3sgte

Seems to work fine on nissans......

·
Registered
20,021 Posts
ECU master does not have 20+ updates the link i posted are all test versions meaning they are loads of updates for those who want the latest options. For most end users ECUmaster recommends you download the latest production version so you don't get any bugs or issues. The have released less then 4 updates to the production version. Once they finish testing everything they release the full version to everyone.

I like that ecu master is open about there development and production unlike most bigger companies. That's me though. This helps find bugs and test faster when more people can post up and state an issue. Everyone gets what they want! Ecumaster seems to have an awesome "open source" almost mentality. I don't see anything wrong with it. Its cool you can talk with the developers whenever you have an idea!

I don't feel its an accurate statement to say they have 20+ updates though. They are just open about development unlike most other companies. There production versions are here http://ecumasterusa.com/tech-info/ and are bug free and work great for anyone who wants bug free software.

I am bias though and own an ECU master so that's me.
My bad. Started with v1.09 now we're up to v1.27 within 4 months

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
Ps: I ain't the only one bitching. One someone was asked to shut the ____ up.... also told by Aaron some things.....

Customers are not saying ____ because they may lose support. ....

To me this is not anything personal it's just commenting on what i feel isn't good to sell or use on any gen2 or 3 3sgte

Seems to work fine on nissans......
Nice tin foil hat. So you are telling everyone that owners are not asking for support because they are afraid of losing support?

ATS is a dealer, not the only dealer. Even if they were afraid of losing our support (which hasn't happened) there are other dealers, plus the manufacturer themselves...so.....

ECUMaster is a growing company who is very interested in legitimate, helpful feedback from owners/users. One of your customers had a remote tuning session with the OWNER of ECUMaster yesterday. That's an AMAZING level of support.

And yes, when one certain person spoke out against ECUMaster because of certain functions not working in a TEST version of software, AFTER they ignored the instructions and warnings that said functions either did not work, or needed to be defined before they worked I told him to shut the f___ up. They literally clicked past a screen saying "these functions need to be defined before they will work" and then publicly complained that the functions didn't work...that ridiculous. Now I also have a long standing relationship with this person and feel we are on the level that we can say the f bomb at each other.

Aaron

·
Registered
20,021 Posts
Nice tin foil hat. So you are telling everyone that owners are not asking for support because they are afraid of losing support?

ATS is a dealer, not the only dealer. Even if they were afraid of losing our support (which hasn't happened) there are other dealers, plus the manufacturer themselves...so.....

ECUMaster is a growing company who is very interested in legitimate, helpful feedback from owners/users. One of your customers had a remote tuning session with the OWNER of ECUMaster yesterday. That's an AMAZING level of support.

And yes, when one certain person spoke out against ECUMaster because of certain functions not working in a TEST version of software, AFTER they ignored the instructions and warnings that said functions either did not work, or needed to be defined before they worked I told him to shut the f___ up. They literally clicked past a screen saying "these functions need to be defined before they will work" and then publicly complained that the functions didn't work...that ridiculous. Now I also have a long standing relationship with this person and feel we are on the level that we can say the f bomb at each other.

Aaron
i love you Aaron, Scott too :p

after the one customer car got tuned (even with datalog glitch) i was pretty stoked that you had stumbled upon a good EMS system and was 110% on board with slinging them out for you. had 8 sold and after the 2 basket cases here the other 6 switched to VIPEC... wasn't a hard sell... at all. i do feel bad because one customer had a AEM V2 we could have modded and got him done but instead "sold" him the EMU and a lot of downtime and extra expenses (IE: new oem distributor)

owners are still asking for support but not commenting on the EMU problems/issees/etc. for fear they will get cut off. ATS is the only place i'm aware of who has the most in depth knowledge of the EMU/3sgte relationship. everyone else (even Jason @ PSI/EMU reseller) scratches their head with these issues.

yes one person did have a issue with the keys BUT there were other issues as well.

i paid good $ 2x to have a PnP EMS with base map tuned yet both times there were issues with the units which wasted everyone's time and $. all necessary EMS install prep was handled yet the EMS itself was the problem...

plug in EMU - engine won't fire
plug in stock ECU and engine fires (poorly) with no AFM and 1200cc injectors.....

you're right. i am the idiot

plug in EMU on car 2 -- fires up - WOOT
restart car to start to tune and it dies when warmed up.... WTF. lost cam sync

MANY other issues later... could try to list all but wouldn't recollect 1/2... mostly blocked out like when you have major trauma...

back to post #165 for a quick sec....

you were 110% correct with the "profesional shop" as i 110% was unprofessional by recommending and purchasing these ECU Master EMU units.

a truly professional shop would have (A) installed customer AEM V2 and (B) sold other customer a VIPEC

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
i paid good $ 2x to have a PnP EMS with base map tuned yet both times there were issues with the units which wasted everyone's time and $. all necessary EMS install prep was handled yet the EMS itself was the problem...

plug in EMU - engine won't fire
plug in stock ECU and engine fires (poorly) with no AFM and 1200cc injectors.....

Welcome to the world of aftermarket ecu's designed for universal application.

·
Registered
20,021 Posts
Welcome to the world of aftermarket ecu's designed for universal application.
yet there is ONE designed for a SPECIFIC application IE: Link/vipec Plug In. not only PnP but it fits INSIDE the stock ECU case. while the hardware may be "universal" they have a pretty good handle on the 3sgte engine so getting it to start and run isn't a problem. getting hem tuned, isn't a problem. rock solid reliability isn't a problem. LIFETIME WARRANTY on the units... doubt they would offer this if the hardware was a problem.

the ATS guys (Aaron,Scott,ETC) are great guys and i love them to death but i just dislike this particular EMS especially on the 3sgte (gen2/3) platform. giving benefit of the doubt i would hope it would work better on the gen4 3sgte with COP ignition.

to put what i say here into perspective... there is another EMS system i LOATH and will NEVER recommend -- the good 'ol Hydra Nemesis! while the newest version (2.7?) my be a good,stable unit, everything previus SUCKS. we have access to the current software developer (RickyB) and he's on the forums. RickyB is a AWESOME guy but the Hydra units he was pedaling i absolutely HATED. regardless of the whizbang new changes to hardware,software i still wouldn't go that route or even recommend one. took how long from SDR to Hydra 2.7 to "get it right"? fool me once.....

i'm now in the same boat with ECU Master. they may eventually get a handle on the "issues" but i'm over it.

when there are tried and proven 100% performers on the market there is no reason to chase the newest, cheapest thing on the block. it's really what degrades the whole MR2 community as a whole.....

let me name a few of the bandwagon companies and see if anyone can see the parallels...

GRD4SPD -- Terry was ____ing AWESOME for years... till he was just gone. luckily i don't think he robbed anyone

ExtremBoost -- newest, latest,greatest thing since sliced pie. letf hundreds if not thousands of rectums bleeding

MT Buggies AKA MCS Motorsports -- prices so cheap how can you resist. business ended same as EB....

SouthWest Speed Works -- prices so great let's all spend there... again another EB story

EMS Powered -- OMFG there IS someone else to deal with... oops... ^^^^

LP Motorsports (or engineering?) -- suns uf biches did it again....

Marco and ? business in nor-cal -- he used to work for CRW so he must know his ____... oops he didn't hence the "used to work for" not "currenly working for" status. robbed MANY people blind. still doing so on FB... thank GOD for FB amiright?

how many other "fly by night" operatons am i forgetting?

for shady individuals i doubt there is enough bandwidth to list them all....

products are the same thing.. how many versions of the Berk exhaust, downpipes,etc were sold until they got it right? how many more sub par products (truglio,chrisK/engine logics.....) are/were out there?

wouldn't you think GETTING IT RIGHT the first time would be the thing to do?

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
We aren't the new kids or a fly by night operation, Josh.

ATS has been in business for over 15 years. We operated out of my garage before then, Scott's dad's shop until January 2002 when we opened our first shop in Lewisville, TX and moved to this location in Denton, TX in 2004.

I'm not saying you didn't have issues with the ECUMaster product. However I think Scott did (and is still doing) an amazing job supporting you and your customers.

Aaron

·
Registered
20,021 Posts
sorry if i came off a hair wrong -- WAS NOT REFERING TO ATS as a fly by night operation by any means. there are VERY FEW reputable MR2 shops/vendors with a track record like ATS, KO, TwosRus, HUX, CRW.... who else?

was saying that the "new kids on the block" or "new poduct -- YAY" mentality, battling to be the cheapest has brought our community down as a whole.

ATS/ Scott has been AMAZING with customer support for me and my customers and tuners. can't say enough how great he has been. it's always a pleasure dealing with ATS i just wish it had been ordering more units VS backpedaling, looking like a total ass, figuring out a different approach to make my EMS customers happy and satisfied. couple emails later and all was well. in the end the customer spent a couple hundred more (in some cases, less in others) but end results were FAR better.

Aaron, just imagine for a min, Scott answering the phone in regards to LINK/VIPEC EMS installs... like the universe shifted and that's the product ATS was really hustling to get in customer cars.....

customer -- Scott, installed unit and everything is great -- need to get the remote tuning
Scott -- excellent. let's set up a time we can teamview this muther out!

wham,bam,thank ya ma'am

customer -- Scott, having issues with getting the LINK/VIPEC to run the car (one way or another)
Scott -- looks like you have some troubleshooting to do. first check YOUR, then check YOUR, etc. let me know what you find.
customer -- found my XXX to be the problem. now let's get to that remote tuning
Scott -- excellent. let's set up a time we can teamview this muther out!

i'm far from a tuner... pretty retarded when it comes to EMS systems BUT have been around for quite some time and have seen what works, what works ok and what really doesn't work well at all. i'd prefer to invest my time (CA time = more $ per hr) into something i KNOW will work instead of spending my time chasing my tail troubleshooting issues with a sub par product i'm selling.

EMU = more profit + more time spent troubleshooting
LINK/VIPEC = much less profit selling at price point near EMU MSRP - time spent troubleshooting.

i know TX $ goes further than CA $ so maybe the amount of time spent is worth it?

i'd honestly prefer to work together to bring the entire community a better product then work against someone battling which system is better. for sure it's the LINK/VIPEC hands down so no disputing that. price point -- well.. MSRP is MSRP and you can sell them for as little or as much as you want to. won't make EMU $ but won't have EMU issues either.

again, sorry if there was any inferrence that ATS was less than top tier -- was not intended. my aim here is targeted at the EMU

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
ECUMaster is making great strides. Link has a 15 year head start on them (it won't take them that long to catch up, haha).

I think the ECUMaster is a great ECU.

We are still working daily with ECUMaster to make an even better product and we are refining the user experience as we go. Currently my biggest issue is that the ECUMaster will not work with a damaged distributor. We have had a couple cars here with sync problems, but every time we have found a damaged distributor. These cars are getting older and the distributors are exposed to lots of heat/vibration, etc, not to mention the wiring is in a location that the valve cover leaks on for 25 years. I will mention that two of the bad distributors we found were completely the owners/previous shops fault and were literally broken in such a way that the cap was the only thing holding the parts inside. I can't imagine any ecu running them in that case.

I'm pretty sure the stock ecu has a backup "feature" that switches to batch fire fuel injection if a sync problem happens. I have seen this on a AEM FIC when watching the injector duty cycle.

I don't know, it's a catch 22...do we design an ECU that works with broken/damaged parts but at a lower performance level (example: batch fire injection) or do we consider retrofitting a different trigger wheel setup?

Aaron

·
Registered
20,021 Posts
ECUMaster is making great strides. Link has a 15 year head start on them (it won't take them that long to catch up, haha).

We are still working daily with ECUMaster to make an even better product and we are refining the user experience as we go. Currently my biggest issue is that the ECUMaster will not work with a damaged distributor. We have had a couple cars here with sync problems, but every time we have found a damaged distributor. These cars are getting older and the distributors are exposed to lots of heat/vibration, etc, not to mention the wiring is in a location that the valve cover leaks on for 25 years. I will mention that two of the bad distributors we found were completely the owners/previous shops fault and were literally broken in such a way that the cap was the only thing holding the parts inside. I can't imagine any ecu running them in that case.

I'm pretty sure the stock ecu has a backup "feature" that switches to batch fire fuel injection if a sync problem happens. I have seen this on a AEM FIC when watching the injector duty cycle.

I don't know, it's a catch 22...do we design an ECU that works with broken/damaged parts but at a lower performance level (example: batch fire injection) or do we consider retrofitting a different trigger wheel setup?

Aaron
obviously badly damages distributors or faulty wiring can cause issues with any EMS system.

when i work with the LINK/VIPEC sytems if the distributor works with stock ecu it works with their EMS system. from what i hear the MR2 is one of the easiest to run with a EMS... that's just what i hear.

i think ECU Master may be a good thing. right now i do not feel that it is, don't feel it's saleable at least to the majority of MR2 owners. if they are working so hard on all of this YOU at ATS can RnD no problem with the plethora of different MR2s running in and out of the shop VS let the end user be be guinea pig.

1) get cam triggering issues sorted or supply a new OEM distributor with wiring pigtail
2) get software sorted -- IE: can't copy maps correctly, switching maps corrupts EMU, car shuts off randomly, EMS hydrolocks engine, no 2 cars i am aware of can borrow the same map.
3) pretty sure i have left off a bunch........

on paper the EMU looks great. in reality it still has a ways to go before i would recommend using it. pleny of solid EMS systems out here that can operate these old engines without 1/2 the issues. doesn't have to be a LINK/VIPEC unit... but why not ;)

EMU forced me back to the "higher cost" Link/VIPEC camp and i found out that i can make almost nothing and still have a competitive price with the EMU system. i'd personally rather make almost nothing than make nothing selling a sub par EMU to my customers, VERY unprofessional by me on both ends but have to do what ya gotta do to try and keep (currently) junk out of people's hands.

once EMU is 100% dialed then set it loose... until then let the ECU Master RnD team get cracking.

had his unit been 100% i would still be recommending them.

when i fly someone in, with limited time schedule, to tune these and they can't just plug, tune and go then I AM OUT $$$... can't really lay it on the customer when I RECOMMENDED the EMU. spend more and fly them out again 2 weeks later... still nada on these 2... more $$$ out of my pocket. drive 10 hrs each way to a reputable tuner who has previously tuned 1 EMU for me -- still nothing but problems.... more $$$ and time wasted.

who's paying me? ATS sending me a RnD check?

no... i just get screwed and have to take it with a smile and commend EMU on their efforts to get their ____ together. YAY!

in the end i could have purchased the LINK/VIPEC system for my customers, had them tuned and still be $ ahead with happy customers... not one with stalling car and the other with car 20 hrs away....

·
Registered
3,331 Posts

Aaron
Have you tried changing the cam signal from g1 to g2 ?
Does the ecu have a hardware adjustable trim pot to help change the threshold of the cam signal?

161 - 180 of 200 Posts