MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

181 - 199 of 199 Posts

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #184
I did find one bug in 1.134, if you change either the min. or Max TPS in the autotune tools it immediately crashes. Otherwise it is fully functional. I tried to get a vid, but I can't manage to get anything worth seeing. I'll try again this weekend.

Cut and pasted from ECUMaster forums:

For autotune you need to used software 1.134 (www.ecumaster.com/tv)

The Autotune function is a tool used for analyzing gathered log data and help to build VE table.
The process consists from the 3 main steps:

1) Gathering data
2) Processing data
3) Analyzing data and apply VE changes

1. Gathering data
Gathering data is the most important part of the whole process. It is important to keep the engine in steady state in as many load / rpm setpoints. Any data gathered during transient condition (eg. acceleration) will be ignored.
For data collecting the engine coolant should be at normal operating temperature. It is allowed to use EGO correction. Collect data using different gears and different throttle position. The goal is to cover as big VE table area as possible. It is very important to build Lambda/AFR target table before you start the autotune.

2. Processing data
To process data it is important that calibration used for data logging is loaded (or EMU with calibration is connected), and proper datalog is present. The next step is to open Autotune tool (Menu / Tools / Autotune).

Min./ Max. RPM - The RPM range for valid data samples
Min./ Max. TPS -The TPS range for valid data samples
Min./ Max. MAP - The MAP range for valid data samples
Transients delay - The time after transient condition (fuel resume, acc/decc enrich) during all collected data will be ignored
VE table number - The table that will be modified. It is important that this table must be the same as a table used during data collecting

After pressing OK button, the data is processed and autotune window will appear. This window is also accessible from the left tree view (Log / Autotune).

3. Analyzing data and apply VE changes

The last step is data analyzing and applying VE changes. The base view is proposed VE table. All cells that are calculated from log are clear, cells that are not calculated are masked (hatched). If you select any cells on Autotune table the corresponding cells on VE and Lambda tables will be also selected.
The table proposed VE shows us the proposed VE values that was calculated based on the log, VE table and Lambda/AFR target table. To apply the changes from selceted cells to the VE table, show context menu (right mouse button) and select Apply selection 100% or Apply selection 50%. Alternatively you can press S button to apply selection 100% and ALT+S buttons to apply selection 50%. Apply 100% means that proposed VE values will be copied to VE table, apply 50% means that the average value of VE table and proposed VE table will be used.

The view Actual Lambda/AFR shows us the measured Lambda/AFR during the data collecting.

The view Number of collected samples shows us how many data samples was used for calculating proposed VE table. The more samples the better proposed VE values.

The view Actual Lambda/AFR difference shows us the difference between Lambda/AFR target and the measured Lambda/AFR. The bigger difference, the bigger VE change is required.

The view Actual VE difference shows us the difference between proposed VE values and current VE table.

Step by step autotune procedure

1. Prepare VE table that allows the engine running and assure that in high engine load the mixture is rich
2. Prepare Lambda/AFR target
3. Drive the car under different load / RPM conditions.
4. Run autotune tool
5. Apply changes in desired VE cells
6. Correct unmodified (not visited during test drive) VE table cells manually to fit them to autone ones. You can use Equalize function (E button on selected cells)
7. Clear the log
8. Repeat the procedure from point 3

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm not the best at this, but I just thought i'd post a mini review on the EMU as I feel it needs a boost with things being said about it by a certain forum member as of lately.

So let me start with saying, from word go the support I have received from ATS has been awesome, on numerous occasions they have offered to look at log files to deal with any tune issues I have had. I had been running the EMU now for a few months now and the IAT sensor which was supplied by ATS decided to break one of it's wires going to the resistive element. I contacted ATS about this and they agreed to send a brand new sensor free of charge with no shipping cost all the way to me in New Zealand. And there still offering there service free of charge to fix certain tune startup issues caused by my incompetent tuner over here in NZ.

As far as the ECU goes, it is completely plug and play. I've been doing a fair bit of tuning with it myself as of late and i've managed to get my engine to startup perfect hot and cold, it runs perfectly smoothly and produces 401 whp using a water methanol injection setup which is controlled through the ecu master EMU. So with my current setup I don't think another ECU could get me a better result. Yes some of the new features, such as auto tune are running off beta software versions, but they are fully functional and any initial glitches have been worked out. I think the features for the price point can't be beaten. The standard ECU master software version is also extremely stable, the beta versions are also quite good now. I also appreciate the constant improval of the product, new features are regularly added, and if you have ideas for new features, they can be presented in the ecumaster forum.
I've played with both link tuning software and the ecumaster software, and I can say the ecumaster software has got to be the most logical easy to use interface.

Ultimately it comes down to what your tuner is willing to tune, but I think the EMU is an excellent option, and it's so simple to use.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #186
Thanks for the review Shane!

So a little update: auto tune is working great, and I have walked several customers through it's use, and they are tuning the fueling on their own cars now. It will auto tune the higher load, higher RPM cells provided you give it enough data (load holding dyno), but just doing pulls on the street, you're not going to get enough samples.

I added 1Hr. of ATS Tech support to the website, so if you are unfamiliar with installing/tuning an aftermarket ECU, I can walk you through the basics using Teamviewer, and just make sure everything is set-up correctly. If you feel the need, remote tuning is available as well, but be prepared, if you need to check ignition timing, change plugs etc... make sure you have the tools you may need available. Most of the remote tuning I do is on the dyno, but with autotune, and Teamviewer, we can knock out all the basics on the street, work out all the bugs, and then when it's time to get into boost, we can take it to the dyno.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Thanks for the review Shane!

So a little update: auto tune is working great, and I have walked several customers through it's use, and they are tuning the fueling on their own cars now. It will auto tune the higher load, higher RPM cells provided you give it enough data (load holding dyno), but just doing pulls on the street, you're not going to get enough samples.

I added 1Hr. of ATS Tech support to the website, so if you are unfamiliar with installing/tuning an aftermarket ECU, I can walk you through the basics using Teamviewer, and just make sure everything is set-up correctly. If you feel the need, remote tuning is available as well, but be prepared, if you need to check ignition timing, change plugs etc... make sure you have the tools you may need available. Most of the remote tuning I do is on the dyno, but with autotune, and Teamviewer, we can knock out all the basics on the street, work out all the bugs, and then when it's time to get into boost, we can take it to the dyno.

hi, scott i like to make sure, after using ecu master ecu, I can remove the OEM map sensor on gen 2/gen 3 ?

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
hi, scott i like to make sure, after using ecu master ecu, I can remove the OEM map sensor on gen 2/gen 3 ?
Yes. The ECU Master has it's own built in MAP sensor. However you will loose the functionality of the stock boost gauge if you remove the stock MAP sensor (but the stock gauge sucked anyway).

Aaron

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi i run a emu in the uk , i have just fitted some ID2000s , used the wizard for the lag settings but what cc should used in general , 2000 or 2225cc which is correct at 43 psi base . ?

i have had this in for a little while , runs great , was running 530hp with my ITS T61 now fitted a pte 6266 just waiting on mapping now .

best time is a 10.86 @ 134

·
Registered
677 Posts
so how they check base timming? are there a obd port from ecu master to do it?
They short the port, which is not functioning and get the light to see the timing. They get the result, after some struggle. I have no clue how the timing is checked, but I passed the smog with ECU master.
You can set that setting on the laptop to lock the timing (which I assume does the same thing as you would short the pins). I did not do that prior to the smog check. But you certainly can do that.

·
Registered
206 Posts
They short the port, which is not functioning and get the light to see the timing. They get the result, after some struggle. I have no clue how the timing is checked, but I passed the smog with ECU master.
You can set that setting on the laptop to lock the timing (which I assume does the same thing as you would short the pins). I did not do that prior to the smog check. But you certainly can do that.
thanks

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #195
This is correct, if they allow you to have an ECU connected, you can lock timing to 10 deg. but hopefully they will allow you to unlock for the actual smog test, or lock it at 15 which should be OK for testing.

·
Registered
38 Posts
So with the ECU master installed, it can literally tune itself? No countless hours on the dyno needed every time something significant is changed??

·
Registered
206 Posts
i interest to find out how i can convert to cop ( remove distributor all together with ecu master. Gen 4 crank and cam sensor)
From my research: I would need MSD 8920.
Here my question:
ECU master has tech output function?

thank you

·
Registered
20,018 Posts
i interest to find out how i can convert to cop ( remove distributor all together with ecu master. Gen 4 crank and cam sensor)
From my research: I would need MSD 8920.
Here my question:
ECU master has tech output function?

thank you
are you going to drill and mill the head to fit the OEM cam sensor in there?

i'll assume you have a gen2 or gen3...... keep in mind you'll need gen4 crank trigger/pulley, gen4 crank sensor, gen4 oil pump, gen4 upper pan (at minimum)

we sell a PnP COP kit for the gen2/3 which has PnP COP harness, 1zz coils, distributor cover, coil mounting bracket, distributor repair pigtial (for good clean signal) $495 -- we can have made with pins for whatever ECU you have (again assuming... ecu master?)

we can also make a PnP COP kit for something like what you're wanting to do or can set it up with aftermarket cam/crank triggers (probably easier and cost less)

·
Registered
206 Posts
mister3, i will keep that in mine you sell such system. at first, i was plan to get racerxfabrication cam sensor. as for bottom ends i am try to use gen4 crank trigger/pulley, gen4 crank sensor, gen4 oil pump, gen4 upper pan. thanks you

181 - 199 of 199 Posts