MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What's the easiest way to advance the cam timing with the belt on. Is there a simple way to do it by just pulling the top timing cover off and slipping the belt up a notch while turning over the engine or will it take more. Not sure how the tensioner is setup on the MR2 turbo.

Thanks for any help, Ron
91 MR2 Turbo

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Are you trying to correct incorrect timing or advance it for more power?
if you're trying to increase power one tooth is way too much, you will lose significant power.
You need adjustable cam gears, and to install those you will probably have to remove the belt.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I'm trying to correct the cam timing. I believe that the cam timing is off. The engine is slow to respond and down about 40hp (via G-Tech). I've gone through everything else and found the vacuum to be 8-10" hg. I bought the car this way with a rebuilt engine and it has run this way since installed. It builds boost but it's just down on power. The compression is 175-180 across all 4 cylinders and has a complete tuneup. I pulled the top timing cover and checked the gears and the cam marks where as close to the timing marks as could be but not exactly. I didn't pull the valve cover yet. I've delt with 2 other engines that responded and ran just like this and both where cam gears off one tooth.
Bill, I had noticed one of your posts about the low vacuum and retarded cam timing, that's where I'm coming from at this point.

Thanks for posting, Ron

1 - 7 of 7 Posts