MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am trying to figure out the additional parts required to replace the gears (1-5th) in my E51 (With Kazz LSD) with Kazz Close Ratio gear set for E153 (SW20 turbo).

I read a few posts they are identical internally, can I simply swap the gears over? Can I reuse the existing e51 Synchros or can I also upgrade the e51 synchros with e153 ones (OEM)? Any other additional parts required?

I also found a bearing kit BK290 for e51 from cobra transmission and I would like to have those replaced as well, does the above upgrade require e153 bearings or are e51 and e153 bearings identical?

I have a SC but engine overhauled to become NA, hence want better gearing.

Thanks in advance.
Cel

·
Registered
341 Posts
That e51 is kinda a unicorn have not even dug into one of those. My mk1 tranny I did a C52/C64 hybrid for my Mk2 I'm doing an e153/e53 hybrid. I know that there parts interchangeable between the two but the only real way to tell if they are going to work is to pull them down together and compare.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I am trying to figure out the additional parts required to replace the gears (1-5th) in my E51 (With Kazz LSD) with Kazz Close Ratio gear set for E153 (SW20 turbo).

I read a few posts they are identical internally, can I simply swap the gears over? Can I reuse the existing e51 Synchros or can I also upgrade the e51 synchros with e153 ones (OEM)? Any other additional parts required?

I also found a bearing kit BK290 for e51 from cobra transmission and I would like to have those replaced as well, does the above upgrade require e153 bearings or are e51 and e153 bearings identical?

I have a SC but engine overhauled to become NA, hence want better gearing.

Thanks in advance.
Cel
I've been thinking of doing the same thing. The gear ratios for the E51 and E153 are the same from what I was seeing. I was told that I could use the gear from the E153 and I would need to buy the synchros for the E153 to use in my E51 case. I'm not sure about the bearings. I was able to find a JDM transmission with the LSD that fits inside the E51 case. I would like to use that with E153 parts to completely rebuild my transmission even though it's doing okay for now. I know that the good later model E153 synchros can cost $1k by themselves.

Have you had any more luck with what you were asking?

·
Registered
359 Posts
I like to know as well. My E51 has 3rd gear pop out after many years of hard use. I have a E58 LSD transmission, which has closer gear ratios. Wonder who has installed a E153 to a 4a-gze in a AW11.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have an E51 JDM 5MT with an E153 LSD installed on it. I would like to install it on my 1989 Supercharged MR2. I understand that I need the inner part of some 2nd Gen MR2 Turbo axles to mate up with my OEM axles. Can anyone help me with finding some and how they mate together? I would really like to install this transmission with the LSD in it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts